recording at home

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Sorry guys, didn't quite know where to post this question,

A bit of lead up first though, I just got a laptop, so naturally, i'm looking for a way to use that to record my guitar playing. Found a trial version of multitracks home studio.

I tried to do a recording of knocking of heavens door, used my acoustic for the rythem, my electric for the solo, and added the vocals in after..

I realized a few things, one: my singing sounds like a cat that's not very happy, Two: my playing needs ALOT more practice, and three: it's a lot of fun, just a blast.

So I'm just wondering what's the best software to get as i'm looking to buy a full version of a home studio.. What do you guys use? What programs aren't any good. I would like to be able to use a drum track as I don't play drums..

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

(@shift)
Estimable Member

for free stuff, most would use, audacity for recording software, and hammer head for drum programming.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

for free stuff, most would use, audacity for recording software, and hammer head for drum programming.

I second that. Never needed to pay for software. Audacity, Krystal, and Hammerhead serve me well enough.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Audacity or Krystal (like the others said) are probably the best for what most of us will need it for. I have heard that cackwalk produces better quality but I can't confirm that. Audacity has worked GREAT for me.

Also, you didn't mention what sound card or interface you were using to get your guitar/mic connected to your laptop? Also, are you using a mixer or any kind?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'm using Audacity these days, with the feed through a Tascam 414MKII four-track recorder acting as a mixer. I've got Magix Home Studio, but I seem to get a load of hiss, and I wouldn't mind getting something easy to use where I could use VST plugins and all that sort of stuff.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I'm using Audacity these days, with the feed through a Tascam 414MKII four-track recorder acting as a mixer. I've got Maxi Home Studio, but I seem to get a load of hiss, and I wouldn't mind getting something easy to use where I could use VST plugins and all that sort of stuff.

Best,

A :-)Kristal is the answer. Relatively easy to use and supports VST plug ins. Actually Audacity supports VST plug ins also but not with their GUI interface. It presents them as line mode like the normal Audacity effects

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the responses, as far as soundcards and interfaces go, all i know is i plug my mic, which my girlfriend had from her old computer, into the side of the laptop and it records. I'm kinda computer illiterate, my girlfriend is the computer person.

not using a mixer either. just kinda doing basic stuff. mostly for practice. I try to record a rythem section and then practice my scales and stuff over it.

thanks again guys
brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

just a quick supplimentary question..... how do you import the beats made on hammer head into other proggrammes. e.g. audacity.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

just a quick supplimentary question..... how do you import the beats made on hammer head into other proggrammes. e.g. audacity.
Doesn't it have a menu option to export to a .wav or something? I can't remember, since I haven't used the program for some time, but I though there was something like that.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

As Paul was saying, there should be an export option in hammer head and then just import it into your recording program.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Kinda depends on what you need and what you can afford. To start out with and learn the basics audacity/Kristal is a great combinaion. Both have a few weaknesses and strengths and they work nicely together. Right now I made the jump to Cubase SX which is infinitely better but costs a truckload of money.

ReplyQuote
(@patr3ck)

If money is not an issue I recommend Ableton Live. I think it is easier to use than Cubase for what you want to do and it is not that expensive.

Ableton is also a very powerful tool for guitar practicing. You could for example loop the verse part of an original recording, slow the tempo down without changing pitch of the original recording and practice to that background. All this is easy controlable from a midi foot pedal for example to change the tempo on the fly or start / stop of playback and recording.

The major difference between Kristal and Cubase or Ableton which could be worth the money for you is the ability to play midi tracks which are used for all instruments you don't record. E.g. drums, strings, etc.

Try the demo at abletons website!

Patrick

ReplyQuote