recording on a computer + linux ????

31 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Anybody successfully do it?

I have a korg pandora and I figured I could just run the sound through that and then into the line in of my soundcard. BUT, I don't know how to record.

Ideas?

(@banre)
Reputable Member

Yup, I do it all the time. Grab a copy of audacity and let it rip. Also, make sure in your mixer setup that it is setup for line in, I had to figure that one out to begin with.

If you have problems after getting audacity and checking the other stuff, let me know what distro, audio drivers, etc you are using.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Lunix ? what's that a cartoon character ? :P

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It's doable, but barely. Really you're very much crippling yourself compared to what is achievable on either Windows or Mac with commercial software.

Audacity is nice (and all a beginner needs), but you can't do half of the things with it that you can with commercially available professional software.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Agreed, very much so, King. And if I needed to go the professional route, you can bet I would have a dual processor Mac with pimped out display, great monitors, the works. That would be fun to have even as an amateur, but the price make it a bit prohibitive.

As it is, I just need the basics, and I get all that from audacity. It does everything on Linux that it does on Windows. My computer isn't a tool for recording, it's a tool that happens to be able to record, as well.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

banre, I am having trouble getting the line in record to work. Any tips?

In the device setup, the only devices that show up are /dev/dsp

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Choices, choices....

You can run Audacity or Kristal on linux no problem. They are probably enough for 90% of your recording.

You can go to sourceforge and find a lot of other apps to do a lot of other things. BeatMonkey for instance.

If you so desire you can run virtual machines on linux to allow you to execute windows apps.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

What distribution are you running? Using KDE or GNOME? What mixer control are you using, Kmix?

Also, audio drivers I assume are ALSA?

When I get home I'll look at my mixer settings, that was the problem for me, but I don't remember exactly what it was. I'll have to check.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Any of you guys try ardour?

http://ardour.org/

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the link, ok. Never seen that. I'll give it a run through tonight!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I've tried Ardour. It seemed nice, although ugly, and fixed a recording bug that Audacity has (maybe just on my comp) which forces me to record in stereo (go figure) to avoid getting garbled recordings when there's other tracks playing as I record. Audacity is a great way to start out though. You can get a lot done with it, and a lot of our Windows users are using it too.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I have that same bug in Audacity as well. I don't even think about it anymore :D

I see on the ardor site that they are porting to GTK2, so that will hopefully fix some of the ugliness.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Ditto on gtk2. It should make the interface a lot better looking. As for the audocity problem, I have that too. Oddly it seems to work when I play the track using some other software (like beep-media-player) while recording through audacity at the same time. Probably meaning it's not a problem with the sound card or the sound subsystem (alsa).

Oktay

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What distribution are you running? Using KDE or GNOME? What mixer control are you using, Kmix?

Also, audio drivers I assume are ALSA?

When I get home I'll look at my mixer settings, that was the problem for me, but I don't remember exactly what it was. I'll have to check.

I am using Gentoo Linux + FVWM + ALSA (w/ DMIX)

edit:

ok I got it working.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3