Notifications
Clear all

recording on a computer + linux ????

31 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Crap, Sorry man, I forgot all about this. And since I use the search thingy to show my new posts, I didn't even see it to remind me.

Great to hear you got it working. I've been trying out this ardour thing, and looks like I've got some setup problems there. Just take some time, I suppose.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I came across MusE today. It's a KDE app that looks pretty polished. Might be worth a try while ardour people are working on the Gtk2 port. http://muse-sequencer.org/

Apparently there's also a console app called ecasound that can do multitrack. http://eca.cx/ecasound/

Any of you guys get anywhere with ardour?

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

No, I haven't spent any more time on ardor. I might check out this Muse, though. Defintely looks better, from looking at the screen shots.

But looking at it, this guy uses the JACK stuff, too. I believe that's what was giving me my problems with Ardor. Oh well, half the fun is hacking it out to get it to work.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

What distro are you using again?

I am using Ubuntu and just came across this site. It contains very very good Linux+Audio info. I'm sure most of it can be applied to all distros.

http://ubuntustudio.com

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the link! Looks great! I'm using kubuntu, so this is perfect! I'll post if I get it rolling anytime soon.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I was having trouble starting Jack. I don't remember what problem you were having but I installed a little application that is used to control Jack and was able to start Jack and MusE afterwards.

sudo apt-get install qjackctl
sudo qjackctl

When the little console is up hit the start button (looks like a Play button).

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member

Hey oktay & banre, could you guys explain the basics of setting up computer recording for me and some of the other less techie folk? Or is there another thread in the forums or a link that you can recommend to introduce how to get started? I'm interested in recording, but haven't got a clue how to get started. I can't even get my avatar right :oops: , so I need some help with the simpler ideas... small words and simple concepts :? .
Thanks,
Dave

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Hey oktay & banre, could you guys explain the basics of setting up computer recording for me and some of the other less techie folk? Or is there another thread in the forums or a link that you can recommend to introduce how to get started? I'm interested in recording, but haven't got a clue how to get started. I can't even get my avatar right :oops: , so I need some help with the simpler ideas... small words and simple concepts :? .
Well, this thread is specifically about setting up for recording on the Linux operating system. Since you're not a technical guy, I assume you aren't using it, but rather use Windows. So this isn't really the place for your question. You may want to start a new thread, although I'd be surprised if the information you want isn't in the forums somewhere already.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Thanks,
Dave

Like Paul said, we are talking specifically about using the Linux operating system, even more specificially about using a certain distrubution of that OS. You might want to take a look at this thread as a starting point:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19820

Have fun and ask any questions! There is an incredible wealth of knowledge contained by the folks who run and use this site, and everyone is more than happy to share.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member

Thanks banre,
that's exactly what I was looking for, a starting point. Sorry I sidetracked your thread, I didn't know where to look, now I do.
Thanks again,
Dave

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

whoelse,

Basics of recording on a computer are the same regardless of which OS you're running at least at a macro level. We Linux users usually need to do a little bit more work to accomplish the same, but we don't mind because the damn penguins are so cute :).

If what you're after is just recording yourself and showing your progress to others, all you need is a computer with a sound card and a microphone. I did a few recordings this way. Although the quality isn't very good, it's good enough for most people. There's a sound editing software called Audacity which is available for almost every OS.

Get your mic (and $2 PC mic will do) ready and download that software. You will be recording in minutes. When you do record, don't forget to share and get feedback at the Hear Hear forum.

Now back to our previous discussion. It seems MusE will work on my computer and so will Ardour. Ubuntu folks have an Ardour package that fixes some issues that the official Ubuntu deb has. I'm going to try that. Before that though I want to get my *new* usb audio interface (Tascam US-122) recognized and working on Linux. If things go as planned, I will be recording on Linux.

To test the unit I booted into Windows and tried Cubase SX LE and Adobe Audition. The latter is more polished and more intuative. But Windows isn't Linux. So I am really hoping that I'll have Linux DAW soon.

The current state of things look very promising. I only knew about Ardour until yesterday. But it seems there's at least two more decent apps that can be used. They all seem to use Jack, so getting that working reliably would be a good first step.

Oktay

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

They all seem to use Jack, so getting that working reliably would be a good first step.

Absolutely. That's my problem at the moment. I spent a bit last night updating my system and getting everything installed. qjackctrl seems to work well, but I can't get programs to connect up to Jack once it is running. I may just be doing something wrong there, not sure. I use Amarok to play mp3s. It has the ability to use the jacksink through gstreamer for output. It didn't work at all, but not sure if it was jacksink or jack itself that was screwy. By the time I got to that point (upgraded to KDE 3.5 in the midst of all this) it was past time for bed. Hopefully I can dedicate some time over the weekend.

Also, have you enabled preemption in your kernel?

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I haven't recompiled my kernel for PreEmption. I did try to use the DeMuDi kernel but it doesn't work for me. I have a laptop so I need quite a few modules for everything to work at once which makes compiling my own kernel more challenging than it would have been on a desktop. It would be ideal if somebody could actually cleanly patch the Ubuntu kernel with the preempt patch but even while typing that sounds impossible to me :)

I think what I'm going to do for now is to concentrate on getting it everything recognized and working first. Performance improvements will have to wait.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

I run Fedora (core 4, which broke a few things that did run under core 3), and I've installed several things from Planet CCRMA, just nothing that requires Jack. I run Reason and Cubase on Windows for most of my computer-based work, but I just did the music and sound effects for a Pat Sajak cell phone game using Lilypond and Midge on Linux...I actually prefer writing and editing in vi, and sometimes wish I could somehow use those two apps with my East West symphonic orchestra :)

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

OK. A short update. I was able to get my US-122 USB Audio recognized. I can have Jack use that. I can also *start* Ardour and MusE but couldn't figure out how to make either record yet. It's like they're listening to the wrong channel. (Hm. I actuall just thought of this. There are multiple line-ins on the US-122).

Anyway. If you're having trouble starting either program make sure you're using the same user for both and it kind of seems like that user has to be 'root' so. :)

sudo qjackctl
hit Start (making sure the correct sound card is selected in Interface)
sudo muse or sudo ardour

And do let me know if you can record anything. So far I was only able to record using audocity which doesn't seem to like Jack. (That's probably why we get along) :P

oktay

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3