Notifications
Clear all

Recording yourself REALLY helps!

47 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

On Mike's suggestion, I plugged my old Pandora into my computer's "line in" jack last night and fiddled around with Audacity. I agree that it's a great learning tool, as I picked up so many mistakes that I didn't notice while playing, and now I can pay better attention. Good idea Mike!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If you are not worried about high quality in your recording all you need is an external PC mic and Audacity to record both electric and acoustic.

As Tracker pointed out to me you can take that up one step with just an interface, a mixer and better mic. Tracker is cruel since he gave me real bad GAS for recording equipment which I am in the process of purchasing.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I use a Behringer XM8500 mic into a Behringer UB802 mixer which is then fed into my soundcard. I use Adobe Audition to record. $80 and I was good to go (Audition was given to me because it's an older version).

I've been rather happy with the results. The mixer made all the difference in the world.

I'd also like to give a +1 to the recording yourself. It really does help. I always put the date in the file name so that later I can compare clips easily.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

On Mike's suggestion, I plugged my old Pandora into my computer's "line in" jack last night and fiddled around with Audacity. I agree that it's a great learning tool, as I picked up so many mistakes that I didn't notice while playing, and now I can pay better attention. Good idea Mike!

The Pandora makes a surprisingly good, quick and easy guitar recording interface for PC. I have better interfaces, but using the Pandora is so tempting due to it's compact, ready-to-go nature, it usually wins out over my Pod and/or a mini-multitracker. The only thing to watch is the noise. The Pandora is a bit nasty in that area. Usually I silence the empty track space between lines during mixing.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

At this point, recording myself has made it very obvious just how bad my timing actually is :(
I guess I need to heed the advice of so many people who stress the importance of practicing with a metronome.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I don't know how long you've been playing, but timing is one of those things that undergoes improvement over a lifetime as it gets incorporated into both mind and muscle memory. Nothing will improve timing except playing, listening, playing listening and - ideally - listening while playing. One must challenge oneself during practice, but for performance and non-practice recordings it becomes important to know and work within your limitations in order to maintain good timing.

If you hop over to Hear Here and Online Jams and Collaborations, you can sample a fairly wide skill set of playing among GN members. Note that those who play more simply and within their limits produce far more listenable and genuinely good works than those that try to push it all the time. These more "conscious" players are better able to maintain good timing and also choose a fewer, but better notes. The results speak for themselves. There is some really good work done by some members who have played for only a couple of years. These are the players that know what they can do well and listen to themselves play. BTW, this is what makes EC and Santana great despite pentatonic-dominated solos -- impeccable timing.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the advice.

I've been playing for a few years, on and off, but have only recently started to really try to get better. I'm still at the point now where I have to concentrate on just hitting the right note, making the right chord changes, hitting the right strings, etc., etc, so timing is something that, for me, has taken a back seat. As I get to the point where I'm actually trying to play songs (whole songs), it's apparent that I need to start to work on timing.

Recording myself has been fairly eye-opening. Normally, as I sit and practice, I sometimes don't consciously register the fact that it took me 1.25 beats (or whatever) to change chords instead of 1. But when I play back the recording, it's painfully obvious.

So, a definite +1 to the importance of recording yourself!

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

never plug a line in directly into your soundcard from a guitar it will blow it very quick if you are not careful i did it myself

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I cliked on MikeSPE's link to his Hells Bells recording and with the first three notes my wife said "Hells Bells". She was in the room but had no idea what I was loading.

This has given me incentive to download Audacity and to play round with my Pandora as an interface.

Just hope that the old laptop in the music room can handle it.

Thanks Mike, only 2 months with guitar and inspiring others already. Job Well Done.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

mikey,

Thank you so much for the kind words! They came at a good time since others are criticizing my work! I really appreciate it!

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

If the criticizim is not constructive forget it. It comes from one of the following groups:

-Those that can't, will never try, but assume that they can.
-Those that tried but gave up and want you to give up too. Easier to bring someone down instead of picking yourself up.
-Those that can but forgot what it was like when they started and couldn't.

(Shame on that last group)

Anyway.. Downloaded Audacity and fooled around with it.

Went direct from my Pandora but couldn't get any volume. Then from headphone jack of amp and got too much volume, eventually got it right. The only thing I miss is hearing it as I'm playing it. I guess a splitter from the headphone jack will do the trick. One line to the PC and one to the headphones.

Was pretty cool though laying down a simple blues track and then two solos at different positions, then playing it all together. It sucked for the most part, but was cool all the same. Making music, rock on.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Mikey, don't you have speakers attached to your PC? I hear everything just fine through mine, and I've got the same setup as yours (guitar -> pandora -> PC line in). Now that I'm hooked up, I "need" to invest in some better powered monitors.

Oh, and some of the criticism Mike got was definitely not constructive. :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Yeah.. got speakers. There were a few check boxes in the preferrences that I didn't have checked. (Thanks to Hueseph) Now I have sound.

If I hit record and pause I can hear the guitar thru the speakers before I start recording.. to make sure the volume and tone is what I want.
But it is delayed a small fraction of a second. Not too bad, at least I know what my guitar sounds like before I hit the play button.

Working off an older lap top so it might be a processor speed problem.

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

If the criticizim is not constructive forget it. It comes from one of the following groups:

-Those that can't, will never try, but assume that they can.
-Those that tried but gave up and want you to give up too. Easier to bring someone down instead of picking yourself up.
-Those that can but forgot what it was like when they started and couldn't.

(Shame on that last group)

Shame on all three groups.

as for the first two groups play the best thing you can play then hand them the guitar and say "top that. If he does top it then say teach me don't be an arse, and if he can't top it then tell them to shut up b/c you may not be a pro but you are better than they are for trying."

/rant off

sorry if that was mean I can't stand people that put other people down for no reason.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If I hit record and pause I can hear the guitar thru the speakers before I start recording.. to make sure the volume and tone is what I want.
But it is delayed a small fraction of a second. Not too bad, at least I know what my guitar sounds like before I hit the play button.

Working off an older lap top so it might be a processor speed problem.

It could be the processor, but I think you should be able to hear the guitar without needing to hit record/pause. Check to make sure you don't have "line in" audio muted (go to your pc's volume control thingy.) My guitar is live as soon as I connect it to the pc, even if Audacity isn't open, and there is no noticable delay. I'm using a desktop not a laptop, but it shouldn't matter.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4