Clear all

Relaxing

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@crazy-dave-miller)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I once asked a local guitar player I admire how the hell he plays the way he plays and moves how he moves. He replied, "I just drink some beers and stretch before I play. Stretching is the real key."
Before my band's last gig I did a bunch of stretches (mostly the ones I do before I work out at the gym), and we went on to play the best show we've ever done. I figured this was because the stretching helped me to relax on stage.
I just read the article on improving speed and have been trying to incorporate a lighter touch into my left hand. I noticed that I clamp down on the neck *very* hard usually, and it actually makes my notes go a little bit sharp. It's much easier to play now.
Anyway, to my point: I realize that playing well is very much a matter of relaxing and letting the music flow out of your fingers. What are some methods you all use to relax before practice/performance, such as stretches and warm-ups?

keep rocking the free world
http://www.myspace.com/twilitemotel

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I do finger exersices not on the guitar. I just strech em like he does, i looks wierd but it works!

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Totally agree.

I usually do some streching before I play. I don't do much if im just diddling for a few mins to kill some time, but if im playing for over an hour, i make sure to strech both arms and my neck, and even my legs if im gonna be standing for a while. If I don't, I really tense up after a while.

I also like to wiggle my hands under warm running water for 30-40 secs, really loosens up my hand.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE HOT WATER TIP !!!!

You can fool your body into thinking its warmed up (by bloodflow) by heating it artificially. This is NOT good - it can very easily lead to pulled muscles and other problems, as really they are not warmed up at all - they just feel it.

Its like sitting in a hot bath - the last thing you should do when getting out of a bath is excercise, for the same reason.

Stretching and other excercises are the way to go.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

totally agreed. :)
warming up is a coompletela missleading name.
It's not warming up physically but mostly mentally...
to get your mind loose from anything else than what you are going to do.

So don't fool your body, he'll pay you back :twisted:

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Knuckle-cracking... it's for winners.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

Doh! that's a bad of mine...
I know I shouldn't do it, especially that often as I do, but it happens uncosiously...

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote