Clear all

Relying on effects

21 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi BillyBoy,

What you've been saying sounds sensible to me. I play almost totally acoustically. Even when I play an electric it's more likely to be unplugged practice than through an amp. So I know very little about how to use effects well (effectively? :) ). Recently I tried out some distortion for a song I wanted to do a short recording of and was struck how much it disguised what what going on musically. Half the time I could have been playing just about anything - it blurred it all so throroughly. What did come through was the drive and rhythm of the song, but the detail just wasn't there. Now, I'm sure that for some styles that's great - an asset not a problem - but it certainly emphasised how how much care that you need to take with getting the balance of effects right if you want to use them to best advantage.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with effects some day but, as you say, it's a whole new can of worms with its own skills required, and I'm still pretty happy exploring what I can do with just my fingers at the moment.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member

As with most things in life, I think a wholistic view of things is best. Effects are only one piece of the "sound" puzzle, or "song" puzzle, even "tone" puzzle. Its impossible to say that effects are categorically good or bad. If the part need a little slap back, or some flange, or a whole board of pedals and outboard processors, by all means. It better be a good song/guitar part though, it better be art. If you are playing clean, it better be art too...

There is no one thing that makes a song or part good, except whatever it is that makes it good. Got me? I feel like Yogi Bera, but still. Good art is good art, whatever it is that makes it good art.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm having tautological deja vu all over again.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Got me? I feel like Yogi Bera, but still. Good art is good art, whatever it is that makes it good art.

Yep, got it. :D I think that half of of what you're saying is 90% right, and the other 20% is half right too.... Just so long as you can effectively use your effects with effect, then the effect will be effective. Effectively... :wink:

Yogi2

ReplyQuote
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member

Man, you guys are good... :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, guitar is 90% mental and the other half is physical, but ........... when I use too many effects it gets late out there early, so I always say it aint over til it's over. For me though? Distortion from the amp with possibly some overdrive help from a pedal and a dash of reverb with a touch of delay thrown in does it for me.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2