Clear all

Returning to Guitar from a Layoff

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Any advice or suggestion for getting back into the guitar after a layoff? I've been away on vacation for about a month and didn't touch a guitar during that time (I was visiting some family in Scotland and doing a bit of site-seeing). Anything other than just keep working at it? The callouses sure went away and it makes it harder to practice for a longer time - just like newbie. I'm trying to split up my practice time to avoid hurting the finger tips.

Thanks

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah just ease back into it, taking frequent breaks. Or even do a little in the morning a little at night.

You might also go back to some of the very basics you started off with, paying careful attention to finger placement, pick angle, thumb position on neck, etc., so bad habits don't just creep in.

Best

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I think the main thing would be to build those callouses back up and then pick up right where you left off!

Did you have fun in Scotland?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yah just ease back into it, taking frequent breaks. Or even do a little in the morning a little at night.

I've been doing that as I can. The jet lag plus being back at work makes the evenings tough though.
You might also go back to some of the very basics you started off with, paying careful attention to finger placement, pick angle, thumb position on neck, etc., so bad habits don't just creep in.

I like that. It would also give me a chance to re-visit those basics and clean up any problems that I have.
Did you have fun in Scotland?

Oh yeah, I had a great time. A lot of site-seeing but the best part was visiting family that I haven't seen in ~30 years when I was mumble years old. My parents were there at the same time as well (retired now and visit yearly) and I got them to show me the places from all the stories they told me growing up though much has changed. On the music side of things my uncle used to play the accordion and was pretty good at one time. We (my wife and I) went to a coupld of accordion and fiddle nights (traditional Scots music) in the pubs with him - a lot of fun.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

+1 to that.

A bit of revision can be both beneficial and enjoyable.

Every so often I pick up one of my older "Teach Yourself" books and start at page 1 again. It's always enjoyable to be able to revisit old ground but to be able to do it well, instead of the painful grind it sometimes was the first time through. The interesting thing is that it always seems useful as well. There's always something I skipped a little, or which can benefit from brushing up with a bit more time spent. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote