Rhythm and Bowling

24 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was reading the book "The Advancing Guitarist," and I came across this:

"I know an excellant bass player who, at one point anyway, was in the habit of coming home after a gig, sinking into his favorite chair and turning on the TV to watch bowling (with the sound turned off) while simultaneously listening to his metronome click at one of his favorite tempos. Why do you think he would do that for? What do you think he learned from that?"

Beats the 7734 out of me! I'm thinking maybe he counted the number of beats before the ball hit the pins? I don't know.

I'm thinking about watching a NASCAR race and counting how many beats at 120 bpm it would take for a car to make it around a certain track. :roll: :roll: :roll:

No, no, how about I count the next time BUSH gives a speech until he says "RESOLVE." 1 & 2 & 3 & "RESOLVE"
& 1 & 2 & 3 & "RESOLVE" :twisted:

Seriously though, why do you think the bass player would listen to a metronome while watching bowling?

:lol:

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

There is a rhythm to everything.

ReplyQuote
(@jay_ashcroft)
Trusted Member

He was probably just memorising the tempo the metronome was clicking out. Having the bowling on just makes it less boring.

My tutor always tells me how when he was at college he used to walk there with ear phones in his metronome clicking at 160bpms! I thought it was the most stupid thing in the world when he first told me but if you play him a song he can tell you to about 5 beats either side what the tempo is!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i love bowling. just bought my son his first ball and started coaching him this week. i thought about getting my Pro card for awhile but i was too old i think, so i gave up on the idea.
like nick says "everything has it's rhythm", maybe the guy is a bowler and can relate to it somehow?
wanna see my 300 ring? :twisted:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

There is a rhythm to everything.

Yeah but,

Most things you would have to take a physics class to figure out what that rhythm is.

I guess the bass player could figure out the velocity of the bowling ball if he knew the distance of the lane...

Velocity = Distance/5 bpm. :P

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

Next time you bowl listen or think of Pretty Woman by Roy Orbinson - especially the intro - the rhythm syncs with the activity.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've never bowled. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Another thought is that he's trying to figure out the bowlers approach. Probably more reasonable, don't ya think.

The next time I see bowling on TV, you can bet the sound will be off and "Pretty Woman" will be playing in the background. LOL

I can imagine it now - "NEZ -are you drunk?"

Here's another question though... Is he trying to be a better bassest, or a better bowler? Hmm.....

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Ok , not to go off of the deep end here but physical activities and music both share timing regulated by disipline in your head and your body movement.
I have practiced and taught tai chi chuan for over twenty years and the cadence and disipline involved have helped both my bowling and my music.
I have a friend who swore that after he started taking lessons with me that his bowling average went up over 20 pins a game.
As far as music goes, bowling on the pro level is timing to the extreme. When a pro throws a shot the ball travels nearly the exact speed each and every time they release the ball. They would not be able to compete on that level if they could not achieve that kind of consistancy.

The guy the book is refering to may have just tuned into the perfect timing and is testing his inner clock.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i love bowling. just bought my son his first ball and started coaching him this week. i thought about getting my Pro card for awhile but i was too old i think, so i gave up on the idea.
like nick says "everything has it's rhythm", maybe the guy is a bowler and can relate to it somehow?
wanna see my 300 ring? :twisted:

HELL YES :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

ok, but you asked for it

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Rhythm and Bowling

So that's what R'n'B stands for :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There's a place in New Orleans called the Rock 'N' Bowl. Bowling alley with a band stage and dance floor. It's upstairs so ought to be OK. The Thai restaurant downstairs may be a real mess by now, though.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I knew people that used to listen to music when they sleep so when they wake up, they could play that line of music they were listening to without thinking about it. I would assume this is the same idea, eventually the beat of the metronome would sink in and he would probably keep better time without even think about it.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The brain is a magnificent but complex thing.
But we are learning that certain things can cause information to take a short cut into a deeper level of your brain faster.
When you are able to, for example, keep rhythm on a subconcious level.
Or play chords or strumming patterns with little to no thought.
Think about this. Walking is a thing we learn to do. But at some point it becomes such an ordinary thing that you really don't have to think about it, you just do it.
Talking, you learned a language and now you can talk without thinking (some do more than others)
I am inclined to think that while watching bowling he was not concentrating on the metronome but just letting it sink in on its own.
I have heard that writing things down is one of those fast tracks to the subconcious.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

He probably just watched to give himself visual stimuli while concentrating on the metronome mentally.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2