Clear all

Rickie Lee Jones

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I need to learn how to play "Chuck E.'s in Love," and "Dannys All-Star Joint," by Rickie Lee Jones. My teacher asked me to learn them for a Coffee House we are playing at. I'd really hate to tell Ani I can't learn them, so can someone help me out? I've look at the tabs on ultimate-guitar.com, and other similar sights and can't find anything that is accurate.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

you have three options really:

tab it yourself
search for a tab and hope it's acurate or wait for someone here who by an off chance has tabbed it out.
Call your teacher and tell them your predicament.

In any event, I'd choose to look for a tab to at least get you started, and then call your teacher and tell them how far you have or haven't got.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with a tab, and try from there. Actually, its not a guitar teacher, its the art teacher at my school, shes not my teacher though, just a friend.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hiya,

Just put Chuck E's in Love on the CD player. Excellent song. There are some jazzy chords in there, but it's not impossible by any means. Most of the verse seems to be A and Asus4.

Help us out here - have you got the riff?

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

The "signature riff" that starts the song is a standard blues line. If I remember correctly, it's in A and goes something like this:

E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
B- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
G - 2- - - - - - - - - - - - - 2 - - -
D - 2 - - - - - - 2 - - 4 - - - - - - -
A - 0 - - 3 - 4 - - - - - - - - - - - -
E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And then the "cool" part is that she hits the A chord on just the G and B strings while fingering the first fret of the B string with the index finger. After you hit those strings, you pull off your fingers, sounding the open G string and the C note on the B string. Then hammer back onto the second fret of both strings and finally pull-off and hammer-on one more time before starting the riff up again:

E- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
B - 2 (P) 1 (H) 2 (P) 1 (H) 2 - - - -
G - 2 (P) 0 (H) 2 (P) 0 (H) 2 - - - -
D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

At least, that's what I remember. Keep that index finger on the first fret of the B string and you can do this with ease. Most of the rest of the song is simple picking and strumming to the chords, if I recall correctly (which isn't usually the case :wink: !)

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Here he goes, David , for us and the rest of the world :wink: 8)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I pre-bent the cool bit so it was between the C# and the D. Sounded pretty good.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote