Rinse and repeat

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

In another thread I was complaining that I didnt really have any direction or purpose with my guitars any longer and I was thinking about selling them. Well, thanks to a lot of positive feedback and some really great points I didnt sell them. But I did spend the last couple weeks trying to figure out what I needed to do to enjoy them again.

So, last night I called my old guitar teacher Wes and we are going to begin lessons again next Monday. Wes has always been an excellent teacher for me because our personalities click so well. I am really excited to get back to it with him. Looking back it wasnt too long after I quit lessons with him that I began to lose my way and really just played the same old songs over and over. No challenge.

So now, I am really thinking about what I want him to teach me or rather what I will say to him when he asks where we go from here. One thing I really need his help on is the song (Making Memories of Us) that I will be playing for my bride at my wedding in May. But beyond that I need think to figure out how to put in words what the problem is. To me, my guitar playing consists of banging out open chords rhythms so that I can sing to them. But I want to move past that.

Anyways. mostly just thinking out.. um.. writing out.. um.. just blabbering. :roll:

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@davidhodge)

Ramble on... :wink:

If I remember correctly, you do a lot of singing and one thing you might find as a next good step is how to go about arranging and accompanying yourself with more than just the "banging out open chords rhythm" approach. This can be anything from the classic "singer / songwriter fingerstyle" to more of a Dave Matthews percussive (and up the neck) rhythm to the traditional blues single guitarist to a Richard Thompson Celtic approach to Kaki King and beyond. As with anything, start out simply, using what you know already as a foundation, and then branch out as your interests take you.

Finding more interesting ways to accompany yourself will make for more rewarding performances (for you and the listeners) and will also undoubtedly spill into your songwriting. And on the more mundane side, it will also teach you more about both your guitar as an instrument as well as some music theory. I know, couldn't resist...

Sounds like a great move! Looking forward to hearing how things progress.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Good to hear Geoo.
it doesn't seem that long ago when you were riding high after that Borders gig and livin' the dream.
glad to see you moving forward.
sounds like a sound plan, good luck bro.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Good to hear Geoo.
it doesn't seem that long ago when you were riding high after that Borders gig and livin' the dream.

LOL yeah. But its easy to trip all over yourself once you become "full of yourself". Man, I felt like a real performer after Border and luckly the opportunity to play that and another gig is open anytime I feel ready. But I really dont.

Its okay though. I am just going to get back to playing and enjoying. Thats how the whole band/gig thing happened for me the last time.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Whatever you do, don't quit guitar. :shock: Why would you have put the years of practice/playing in? Or posted 2,500 times here? There are much worse hobbies, keep this one!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'm glad to hear that you're not giving it all up, Geoo! Once it gets into your blood it's pretty much there forever! Do what David said and have your teacher teach you some percussive and fingerstyle techniques. It's a lot of fun to do and it does add a lot to your sound. It could be just the challenge you need right now!

Most importantly, though .... have fun! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I saw the last thread regarding your plight. I'm glad you're not giving it up, Geo. For a variety of reasons, people just need to step back from their interests and re-examine their participation. Things change. Skill changes. People you do things with change. Adjustments need to be made. It sounds like you were smart enough to recognize this and move forward.

If I might share a story. Golf got to be pretty intense for me. I'd be furious after a 76, kind of thing. I played in a company tourny, which we won, but along the way I hurt my back and got blitzed on top of pain-meds to be able to play. After a few days on my back, I decided that I was taking it way too seriously and it was not fun anymore, so I quit.

6 months later, it was Spring time and the itch was killing me. I went out without any of my old golfing buddies and started playing again. This time was different though. I got out there on a beautiful Spring day and just soaked it all in. The birds, green grass, the smells, etc. I really enjoyed the sensory experience more than I ever had and I ended up having a really fun day. That was it for me. I had to inject fun back into the game. My average score raised to about 88-92, but I was having a blast. Did that for years until Senior League Baseball when I became old enough. Had to retire from that though, so might start golfing again this coming Spring after I'm over an illness.

Bottom line is this. Things are not constant, and adjustments have to be made. You could be in a good band for a while and then they start bitching like old hens. Not fun anymore. Just gotta make an adjustment to make it worth your time. A hobby that is not fun is work. I have a feeling you probably already have a job.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Jim,

I think getting back to lessons & trying to find something to inspire you is a great idea.

I think what you're going through happens to alot of us from time to time. Music can be a real challenge sometimes.

You are a great songwritter, and a great musician. Keep at it man! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Great points guys n gals! Like I said, its not really about not liking guitar anymore, its just not as fun to play for my four walls. I have a deep desire to play in a band but at my age, in my area, its difficult to find that. But learning some new techniques that atleast make my ears tingle a little differently will sure add some spice to it.

I love the idea of learning some purcussive, fingerstyle. I am drooling at the thought of learning to use my Schecter. I love that guitar but I have no idea how to play it and I am a little mad at not taking the time to get to know it. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with a single multi effect to start rather than all these pedals. The pedals are cool, but it seems like every time I play I have to figure out what has come unplugged.

And how could I stop.. I mean I do have 2500+ posts :D

Whoa, I am getting off track. Thanks for the comments all.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Pedals sound more authentic, but they end up costing you more and you have to do a dance to use them. Buy one of these and set patches for each song. Much easier:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Tonelab-LE-Valvetronix-Floor-Modeling-Pedal?sku=150246

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Man, that thing looks cool but I am a poor (and getting old) college student now. I'd rather figure out a way to get these things to stay in place better and re-organize my custom pedal cables so that they are routed in a more efficient manner. Someday, I'd like to let my GAS out again but going to have to hold it in quite a bit longer.

Jim

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

You're saying you don't feel ready to go back and do some gigs, but said that you felt a great high the last time you did. You say you're disenchanted with playing for your own four walls. Maybe your self consciousness is getting in your way and you just need to go out and do it. Even if you slip once, twice, multiple times in a performance, you can't learn unless you make some mistakes. From those mistakes, you'll find direction and motivation for things to work on when you practice, and could really start your snowball rollin again.

Anyway, glad to see you're not selling the gear. :D

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote