Clear all

RSI

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

has anyone had any issues with RSI due to playing guitar?
I'd been playing a lot of power chord stuff - greenday / sex pistols etc, my arm was sore after playing, but it usually eased off when I stopped, then last week it didn't and my elbow / wrist have been sore since :( So not played
I've arranged to see a physio in the morning, but wondered if anyone else had experienced this too?

Hopefully I will be back playing soon..

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i spent a day running scales in addition to my usual practice and had to take about a month off. now i just try to let my hands go and play what they feel like and avoid forcing myself to do unnatural stuff. i doubt there's much point in beating things into the ground after i've got them down.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Which arm - strumming or fretting (or both)? Are you playing standing or sitting? If standing, how low is the body of the guitar? If sitting are you using a strap?

Usually when something like this occurs the problem can be traced back to posture and / or playing position. So having more details may be helpful.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it also helps to warm up, cool down. and stretch. you don't want to stretch too hard, though. just keep everything loose.

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks - its my strumming arm, I play sitting down, and don't use a strap.

I normally use 11's but have dug out my other guitar which has 9's for when my arm is feeling a bit better, in case that helps too.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

ok, mine was in my fretting hand. it felt like it turned to water, and then every time afterwards it burned when i tried to play. what's the doctor's verdict?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I can't play sitting much cause it kills my shoulder. Too much baseball I think. I play standing up and keep the picking zone between my navel and my ummmm .... groin. I can play for hours without issue. I credit proper position.

Between groin and navel ... that would be the belt buckle area wouldn't it? :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks - had an appointment with a physio yesterday, whose verdict was I'd given myself tennis elbow by playing guitar..

Quite ironic after a lifetime of riding horses I get an injury from my new sedentary hobby!

My arm feels much better today after the physio session, and I've been told I can play gently tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll be back hammering on the power chords soon :-)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The only time I've had anything like RSI was an ache I used to get at the base of my left (fretting hand) thumb when I'd been playing barre chords for a couple of hours. DO NOT do what I did - thought, "ah, the hell with it, I'll persevere - what doesn't kill me will make me stronger, right?" - WRONG!!!! It'll weaken you, is what it'll do, and leave you unable to play for days, weeks, and I don't even want to think further than that.

Think of an athlete - say, a fast bowler (cricket) or a pitcher (baseball) trying to bowl/throw at full pace with a minor shoulder, elbow or wrist strain... All he's going to do is exacerbate the injury. Painkillers won't help - they'll only take away the pain, not the strain. Don't, whatever you do, try to play through the pain - it will only make it worse.

Try and play a few chords in the morning - but DO take it easy. The minute you feel any pain put it down. Small steps. It's NOT like building up callouses, where a little pain won't matter - you can't take any chances with muscle strains, they really can only get worse.

All the best, and DON'T RUSH IT!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

The only time I've had anything like RSI was an ache I used to get at the base of my left (fretting hand) thumb when I'd been playing barre chords for a couple of hours. DO NOT do what I did - thought, "ah, the hell with it, I'll persevere - what doesn't kill me will make me stronger, right?" - WRONG!!!! It'll weaken you, is what it'll do, and leave you unable to play for days, weeks, and I don't even want to think further than that.

DON'T RUSH IT!

:D :D :D

Vic

Very good advice from Vic. Timely too, as I did exactly the same yesterday and now have a niggling pain at the base of my left thumb. I'm sitting here surrounded by attractive gear, trying very hard to heed Dr Lewis' very sound advice.

Years ago I wrenched a shoulder doing something stupid, and then had 18 months of unnecessary pain because I didn't give it a chance to heal properly. :( In that case it was too many daily hours of poor posture at the computer, and a better designed chair allowed it to heal in under two weeks.

Posture Patience and Practice - the three Big Ps of guitar. :D

Hope your arm gets better quickly. It should, because it sounds like you're a whole lot smarter than I was!

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Vic & Chris,

I took it easy with the guitar on Friday, and then coz my arm felt fine rode Apache - bad mistake, so got off after 15 mins (Apache was happy he got his feed!) been sore since, its been a bit easier the last day or so, so played gently yesterday & today (and stayed off Apache!)

Back at the physio on Thurs...

PS - just incase anyone doesn't know - Apache is my horse :D

ReplyQuote