Clear all

Saddest Scale

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Im tryna write a really sad song but i dunno how to give me some really sad scales or chord progression u know to work off of thanks..

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

The Minor scale (Aeolian Mode) is pretty sad sounding. Just solo w/ it for a bit and then throw in a couple minor chords and you'll start to hear how super sorrowfull it sounds. The blues scale (minor pentatonic scale) sounds somewhat sad aswell but I havent worked w/ it much yet so I cant recommend it that much.

I guess you could mess around with the I, IV, V chord prog. in any key using minor chords and see what comes to you. Then record it and start using the minor scale over it. I just tried this and it sounded pretty sad to me IMHO.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Yeah, I'd try what VoodooMerman said and remember slow with lots of feeling.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

when I'm sad I usually pick through chords and stuff go slow and it gives a sad feeling, maybe stick to minors and flats.

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Also the key to sounding sad is to play with a nice emotional vibrato imho....

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Try Am Dm Em etc progressions.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

D minor has a reputation as "the saddest of all keys."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member

i find spanish guitar can have the saddest songs, and i think they use mixolydian often. i know cantiga 311 goes d f g a c b a g f g f e f g a c b, but i can't tell you what scale or key that is. i think a lot of it however, is the intervals you use.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Most old American folk songs (the sort we used to sing in school) are in myxolydian. I think of it as a happy sounding "scale." Think of "Old Joe Clark," "Turkey In The Straw" and old fiddle tunes like that. Myxolydian.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

None. You can write extremely sad sounding songs with the major scale and ultra-happy songs with the minor pentatonic scale. A scale doesn't really have it's own sound: it's the scale played against something else that decides how happy or sad it sounds. If you want to write a really sad song, start singin a melody line, add words to it and then start to figure out chords that go along. Starting with reportedly sad chords and scales with no definite plan of how to use them will always result in crap.

Do you already have a style of music in mind? Decide on that, pick the instruments you'll need, get a basic melody, find the words and think about how the song should sound from intro to outro. Then, and only then, should you worry about which scales and chords to add to your original idea. Your idea will be the foundation of the song, not the tools.

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

D minor has a reputation as "the saddest of all keys."

People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why... :)

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I agree with dm. I like Dm in a V, IV, I progression. That'll make anybody sad.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote