Clear all

"Samick" brand electrics

31 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone... anyone out there own a Greg Bennett Samick guitar? I am looking at a Tele knock-off that appears pretty good. Grover tuners, Duncan Designed pickups, 22-frets, etc.

I played an "Interceptor" once and it was pretty darn good for the money. I might be able to get this thing cheap, but I figured I'd ask around first.

The Samick's are generally made in Korea, and I believe they get a knock based almost soley on the "Samick" name. I'm suprised that they didn't just brand the guitars as "Bennett Designed" guitars and drop the Samick name. I think it may been killing them. The whole lineup look nice, but I have no idea about quality and playability. Plus, most guitar stores don't seem to carry them.

Any opinions/information? Thanks!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Don't let anyone knock a Samick. It's been noted that a large percentage of Asian made guitars, are actually made in the Samick factory, under contract for other guitar companies. If you own, an asian made guitar, it could possibly be a Samick.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Hi,

I had a Greg Bennett Avion 3 guitar it was great very playable great tone and a good price, every one that played it liked it.
I had it for 12 months but got the urge for a Fender so I traded it in.
I have a self imposed ban that only allows 1 electric and 1 acoustic at a time if I didn't I would have dozens of guitars and the family would go hungry LOL..

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I have a Greg Bennett Samick Acoustic that I've been very happy with. I also have a Samick Strat knockoff which is also fine (don't remember if it's a Greg Bennett design one though). In each case I bought online as they offered Left-handed Samick's reasonably priced.

I was thinking of selling the lefty Samick electric though as I almost never use it (my other electric gets little use as it is).

Love your avatar, by the way.

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Hey Dali Lama,

Here is what I was talking about ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I might end up like you lol ...

Keith
Ok... I understand GAS and all its symptoms, but I think I might have an acute case of BASGU... buying and selling guitars uncontrollably.

I've been doing this guitar thing for a little over 3 years and I have owned over 15 guitars - but I only have 4 right now. It seems like I buy a guitar. Play it for a while, grow bored or find that it is not the EXACT guitar for me, and then sell it. I've been hovering around 3 - 5 guitars, but the exact guitars keep changing!

Is there a cure? Luckily I only buy stuff at a low price, and then flip for a higher price when I'm finished with it, some my illness isn't affecting the family budget... SO FAR!

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Samicks are definitly worth a try though. I really do like them, some are great, while others, not so great, but you'll get that with every brand, or at least most.

I think we all love his avatar. It reminds me of St. Paddy's day.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Hit Harmony Central and check their reviews.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Samick is the largest guitar manufacturer in the world, with factories in a number of countries. Since they opened their last plant in Indonesia, they actually control over 50% of the world's guitar production.

Obviously, Samick doesn't account for 50% of all guitars sold.... but that's because the Samick factories turn out something like 3,000 different brands/models, for some of the biggest 'names' in the business.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Samick is the largest guitar manufacturer in the world, with factories in a number of countries. Since they opened their last plant in Indonesia, they actually control over 50% of the world's guitar production.

Obviously, Samick doesn't account for 50% of all guitars sold.... but that's because the Samick factories turn out something like 3,000 different brands/models, for some of the biggest 'names' in the business.

I thought it was 50% too. I've heard upwards of 60% but I didn't believe it was that high.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Yup.. NoteBoat is right.

Those of you with Epi LesPauls....made in Korea... GUESS WHAT!!! :P:P:P

Its a SAMICK..... Tee-Hee.. No really it is.

I own a G.B. Tennesee Traveler Accoustic... its a "Parlour" Steel String. Solid top.. I LOVE THIS Guitar.. its my workhorse as I can comfortably sit on the couch, with feet up of course, and play this thing.

One of our local shops here are a Samick dealer.. They're awesome guitars and in my opinion, one of the Best Bangs for the $$$$, so long as you don't get the bottom end model.

I'd recommend them to anyone.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Yup.. NoteBoat is right.

Those of you with Epi LesPauls....made in Korea... GUESS WHAT!!! :P:P:P

Its a SAMICK..... Tee-Hee.. No really it is.
Sorry, Dagwood, but you're only partially right - take a look at the "Epiphone" thread ( https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23289 ) - Epi used more than one factory in Korea, so it may not be a Samick, it could be from Saein, Unsung or Peerless. Today most Epis are made in China or the Czech Republic.
I can only remember playing 2 Samicks, one was the SAN450 (reputedly made on the same production line as the EPi Dot and Sheraton were then made on), which was pretty good, although the pickups weren't up to much. The other was an acoustic, which was also nice to play.
There was a figure published that in 2001 Samick produced over 60% of all guitars produced in the world in that year.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I have one of Samick's "Greg Bennett" basses and have been pleased with it. The Bennett series seems quite all right.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I did play a Greg Bennett LP copy (I think it was an Avion 5?) at Guitar Center about two years ago and thought it was pretty nice. I also remember picking up a Jay Turser LP copy and played them both side-by-side and the Bennett won hands-down. Could have been the DD pickups, the Turser just had a muddy sound.

It is interesting... the Samick guitars are made ini Korea - just like Schecter, or even ESP - have Duncan Designed pups and Grover tuners - just like Schecter/ESP - yet sell used for $300 less than a used Schecter/ESP. Funny. Neither have any REAL ties to the big manufactirers US in terms of brand (unlike Squier or Epi)... just kinda funny.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

My bennett acoustic is my favorite 6 string acoustic, I like the sound of it better than my seagull. I know I'll get blasted for sayingthat but to my ear the bennett wins hands down

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Epi used more than one factory in Korea, so it may not be a Samick, it could be from Saein, Unsung or Peerless. Today most Epis are made in China or the Czech Republic.

OK.. well you obviously know a heck of alot more than I do for sure :)

But... my Epi LP Custom Special is made in Korea and it has that SAMICK Seam at the top of the neck where the headstock joins.... Serial # starts with a "U" I assume its a Samick...???

<shrug> :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3