Clear all

santana's guitar

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know what kind of guitar this is?

I know he has played L-6s, sgs, and Prs but it doesn't look like any but the sg. It doesn't look like any Sg that I have ever seen and was wondering if it was a special model or something?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yamaha. And strangely enough, I believe the model was something like SG2000, and often simply known as the Yamaha SG. Santana played various versions of these for several years. They are very Les Paul-like.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Yep, definitely a Yamaha SG series. Later on they had to change the model to SBG under pressure from Gibby.

And they just announced a couple of reissue SBGs, unfortunately with a price tag that matches their legend.
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM07/Content/Yamaha/PR/SBG2000-SBG1000.html

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks a lot, I've always thought they it looked real cool and just assumed it was a custom guitar. I might have to check out ebay to see what I can find.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Can anyone tell me what the SG stands for? Seems like I might have read it once, but I've forgotten.

I'm guessing the G is for Gibson...... and the S?

I apologize if this should've been posted under the Stupid Question forum. :oops:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

"Solid guitar."

Believe it or not!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

"Solid guitar."

Believe it or not!
:lol: As opposed to a hollowbody guitar, I suppose, and not a commentary on the guitar's reliability.

Here I was thinking it was like Special Gibson or Standard Gibson.

Thanks, Slej.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

If anyone else is interested besides me here is a history of this type of guitar: http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=184

It seems that a lot of the guitar's sustain comes from a brass block under the bridge on some models.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If anyone else is interested besides me here is a history of this type of guitar: http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=184

It seems that a lot of the guitar's sustain comes from a brass block under the bridge on some models.

This use of brass in this fashion is considered by some to be questionable these days. It may have some effect on sustain (actually the whole ADSR characteristic), but some builders have decided it can have a negative overall effect on tone. In a similar fashion, some companies sell lower mass interia blocks for Strats to "improve" their tone.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Do you have any websites or information on how it would decrease or increase sustain. I thought it seemed kind of weird and don't really see how it would improve the sustain without sacrificing the tone. I was looking all day at work yesterday for some info but couldn't find any.

ReplyQuote