Clear all

School annual show... What should I do?

23 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I've seen you play and here's my reaction.

I'm jealous.

Handle that.

LOL

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@benpari)
Eminent Member

I was never terribly sure about playing in front of people.

But then one day me and some friends were sitting in my room talking and I picked up my electric and started hammering some stuff out, without the amp of course, after doing that about 2 minutes, not really disturbing anyone, one of them looked at me and said "dude you are fucking awesome on the guitar".

None of them had ever seen me play before.

Basically, just act like you are practicing, play because you want to play. There is a guarantee that people will at least be impressed by the fact you got up there, most will be jealous.

Try playing something that will really push you. For example me and one of my other friends are planning on playing the Through The Fire and Flames (dragonforce) solo in a talent show. I will be sure and let everyone know how that goes if it ends up happening.

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

"The problem is that I'm a very SHY person and I lost everything when I play in front of other people..."

--I've never played at a gig or recital or anything like that. But I play in front of as many different people as I can to get me comfortable with playing in front of people. 99% of my playing is done for my enjoyment, and I'm the only person in the audience. When I first started playing in front of other people, I got so nervous I always screwed up noticeably.

My GF's little sister went to a high school for performing arts. She started playing guitar almost daily at the age of 8 or 9, so by the time she got to high school she had already been playing 6 or 7 years and was quite good at guitar. Every year the school has a senior class recital, and Brandi got picked to do a solo performance which of course is quite an honor and indicative of her skill on the instrument. It was her first recital as a soloist and she was really nervous. Remember, she'd been playing almost daily for 10 years at this point. She started playing and got through no more than 4 measures before she stopped and nervously apologized. You could tell by the look on her face that she was VERY uncomfortable. After a minute or so of her just sitting up there fidgeting nervously, she started the song from the top and played it very well with no noticeable mistakes. After the recital I asked her why she stopped and she said because she made a mistake. I don't know what kind of mistake she made, but I guarantee nobody in the audience noticed it. The audience certainly noticed her mistake of stopping in the middle of a performance, though. The point of all this is that if you make a mistake, just keep right on playing and probably nobody will even notice you made a mistake. The other point is that even good guitarists who know they are good aren't immune from stage fright.

So, my advice is to start playing in front of as many people as you can as often as you can, and if you happen to make a mistake--DON'T STOP. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It's strange that you came up with this thread today because I'm not decided yet... :roll:

I wonder if I really want to play in front of others... The fact is that I've been playing alone and for myself only and I'm okay with that. And saying "yes" to the concert means that almost 50% of my guitar classes will be repeating and practicing the same song for the next 2 months...

But when I told my family and friend that I might do a show, they were all suprised but also looked interested of attending the show

There's some good side and bad side of doing the show...

I have to decide for Wednesday...

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I wonder if I really want to play in front of others... The fact is that I've been playing alone and for myself only and I'm okay with that. And saying "yes" to the concert means that almost 50% of my guitar classes will be repeating and practicing the same song for the next 2 months...

So, having guitar classes focusing on learning song parts and putting them together into a nice arrangement seems like it would be well worth the time. I mean, think about it. Professional assistance helping you to drive towards your short-term goal. I bet it would be quite informational and educational and probably darned well worth it. Who better to assist you in learning all of the pieces, and then teaching you how to put the pieces together. You'll have one tune down at the end, sure, but you've learned what it takes and how to do others.

If little of this is making sense, I apoligize. Doc switched me up on pain meds this week.

Claudine, I'm saying go fer it.

Also, when it's your turn, it's your floor. You can tell the audience you've only been playing for X months and that this is the first time ever performing in front of people. The crowd will be behind you and wishes you do well and giving you nothing but encouragement. You can make it a bit funny if you like. What the hell, right? Have a blast.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, but I don't know if I belong there

School show means, most of the time, kids doing a little show for their parents... Am I right? I'm 19 years old, I don't fit in the group :roll:

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, but I don't know if I belong there

School show means, most of the time, kids doing a little show for their parents... Am I right? I'm 19 years old, I don't fit in the group :roll:

I'd check with the instructor to find out what the mix is. I imagine a lot of early to late teens? Does your school have a web site? They might have pics pf previous events. You're right though, if it's a bunch of 7 year olds, it might not be so fun an event?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I don't really know

But on the informatin page that they gave us, it was write something like:

Kids should wear decent clothes. Jeans, boots and running shoes are not allowed. Their are playing in front of parent so they should be nicely dress.

They also said that parents should let the kids do their things when they arrive to the concert room

So it seems like the paper was more for the parents of the kids than the student themselves. So I guess it's more a kids show

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2