Notifications
Clear all

scratching

13 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@matt-opus)
Topic starter  

Does anyone know how to Morello gets his guitar to sound like he is scratching on a set of decks? you know what effects technique. I'm pretty sure it's some type of phaser. anyway let me know please.

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I think he's just scratching the strings with a pick.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

If he's scratching that much I think you can get cream for that sort of thing now. :lol:

Sory, I have nothing useful to say other than it may be a pick slide. I'll go now.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

He is rubbing his hands across the strings right over the pickups while rapidly flipping his pickup selector switch. He has one pickup set to full volume and the other with no volume.

Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
 Pup
(@pup)
Estimable Member

I get those scratching sounds by using a digatech metal master distortion pedal and with a pick.

ReplyQuote
(@bleaseyhighflyer)
Trusted Member

I once heard a rumor from a friend that he re built his guitar (a telecaster is it>) and "implanted" various pieces of equipment to achive different sounds. apparently he has different switches which can achieve this sounds.

i dont know how many grapevines that has come through though

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

" Ah man, that went down like a lead balloon."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have heard that he has been known to rub an Allen Wrench over the strings. No joke.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I've heard that he rubs his strings against the pickups, altho thad seem kinda hard to do, so dunno.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I haven't heard it but could it be similar to what Van Halen does on 'Atomic Punk' by 'scratching' his hand across the strings and using an effect (maybe a flange)?

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

I heard that he rubbed his guitar against a turntable with an allen wrench and a bag of picks while standing on a giant distortion box made out of pickups.

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

I heard that he rubbed his guitar against a turntable with an allen wrench and a bag of picks while standing on a giant distortion box made out of pickups.

Yeah I think that was in a guitar magizine I saw once... :D

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Well, according to the Daily Star, he has an alien that he caught, when he was doing a concert at Area 51, that arranges all his special effects.

But, then again, an alien looks remarkably like a pick from 100 metres or so.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Actually, I think he has some sort of switch in the guitar that cuts signal to the amp. Then he rubs his hand on the strings right over the pickups while flipping the kill-switch rapidly. Don't forget your distortion. He used that on the DJ-scratch solo from Bulls On Parade and when they play Super Stupid (Maggot Brain) with Audioslave. And I think he did it with the solo for Calm Like A Bomb. When i saw Audioslave live in philly, i was standing only a few feet from him and i was trying to watch how he did it and that's what he did.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote