Clear all

screw-in strap button??

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@kachman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey there guys - Been playing a year now and I'm really used to sitting. But I'm thinking, at some point, playing out or whatever, I'm going to need to stand up and play. So I got a suede strap on ebay, but I don't have a strap button on my guitar and I'm a little worried about damaging it if I have to put a screw in. I really don't know what this will do to the sound - and I guess once it's on it stays on right? I can't imagine having to pull it out at some point and leaving a gaping hole in the body.

For now, I just tie a shoe lace around the headstock (just above the nut)and loop it through my strap. Anything wrong with this method? Will it bend the neck over time? Or should I just get the button and have no worries about drilling into my guitar? Thx

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Check out this page from http://www.frets.com

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Assuming this is an acoustic since most electrics always have the forward strap button there should be no problem adding the strap button. I am also assuming you are taking about the forward button on the neck side of the body. If you look at most acoustics you will see that the forward pin is in the meaty part where the neck meets the body and usually on the bottom side. You just need to drill a pilot hole just deep enough for the button screw in the meatiest part.

And, this should have no impact on the sound.

As far as just putting it on the neck at the nut that should cause no harm.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

My brother uses some sort of small leather strap that seemed to be made to button around the headstock with a strap button on it. He's had it for many years, so he doesnt remember where he got it from in the first place, but things like that do exist. I'm not even really sure what to call it though...it kind of looks like a leather wristband with a button.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

My brother uses some sort of small leather strap that seemed to be made to button around the headstock with a strap button on it. He's had it for many years, so he doesnt remember where he got it from in the first place, but things like that do exist. I'm not even really sure what to call it though...it kind of looks like a leather wristband with a button.

Something like This? I was think about making one of these...looks simple enough.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Yes, something like that. Not exactly, but same principle.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

sorry for leaving out those details. yes this is an acoustic/electric and it has a 1/4" jack on the end that doubles as the backward strap pin. so yes again, i'm talking about the forward pin. And of course you're right, i've seen most acoustic pins on the bottom side near the neck-body joint.

As long as I won't damage the neck, i'll keep tying the strap around the nut until I get a chance to rig the right stuff on.... thx!

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

As long as I won't damage the neck, i'll keep tying the strap around the nut until I get a chance to rig the right stuff on.... thx!
That works for me. I always liked that look anyway.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote