Notifications
Clear all

Seeking Help with "Over my shoulder" chords

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@myfingersarebleedin)
Topic starter  

I have been trying to decipher the Mike and the Mechanics (Paul Carrack) song "Looking Back Over My Shoulder" from the video but I am having problems with the chorus. The tabs I have found on the internet show either a F, C, Bb, C or a G, F, G, C progression. Unless there is a grip that I am not familiar with, that is not what Carrack is playing.

Here is a link to the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aFPKtJVBoU .

Thanks for your help.

Been there - done that. Just can't remember where it was or what I did.

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

We play it in Em-A-D, as does Paul. The chorus is C- G - F - G - C - then Am to final barre chord, 1st fret w/A maj. formation.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@myfingersarebleedin)
Topic starter  

Thanks very much for that mate. Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

You're welcome fingers!

You can do interesting things with the Em, either remove 2nd finger all of the time, or add the 3rd, which is even better!

Lookee here, and you can listen too. I believe that Paul uses the one-finger-fingering of the Em7 and you can see the look on the faces of the audience as they are just loving it, they almost melt with warmth. I spice it up even more with the three-finger-fingering up higher on the chart. http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/Em7.asp

Sorry I am not a teacher. I do play all the time now, but am self taught, and my motto is to make interesting sounds, create many textures and layers, and keep chopping or pounding with steady percussive rhythm - that's a long, strange motto? :shock: :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@myfingersarebleedin)
Topic starter  

Well, it may be a long motto but it's a good one. I'll have a play with the different voicings and have some with it. It is a fairly simple song structure so lots of room for adding textures and whatnot. That looks like a good website as well so thanks for that.

Thanks very much for your help on this Blue Jay. You've been a big help. And good luck with your playing.

Glenn

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm a bit late to this thread, but when I saw the header and the link, I had to take a look and listen - big fan of Paul Carrack's! Bear in mind, this is only my opinion....but listening to the video clip, I think the "Em" chord is actually an Em7 played 022033....followed by A and D/F#, played 200232. For the choruses, sounds like (and looks like!) C - 335553, G - 355433, and F - 133211.

I tried playing along with the video, seems right to me!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@myfingersarebleedin)
Topic starter  

Never too late for the party Vic. I think that what you have noted is what I was having trouble with. I hadn't realised he was using his thumb on the barre chords so didn't recognize the shapes.

Thanks very much for your help.
Glenn

ReplyQuote