Clear all

serial number on my strat

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i checked the fender serial number charts to double check the date on my american strat but i couldnt find the prefix that i have on the chart.

the serial number on mine is EE 102086

can anyone help me out?

there seems to be no EE prefix on the charts.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The "E" series means manufactured in the 1980s. "EE" isn't shown in the charts - there weren't very many EE guitars made, they usually had the E followed by numbers (and both US and Japan used the E series at times!). Yours is from after the CBS sale (1985) and before 1989 - from your number, it's likely about 1987.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Rich

You may not want to do this, but if you take the neck off you will find the month and date under there on a label.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@palehorse)
Eminent Member

What does mine mean? It is a mex strat:
MM6232704

I took the MM to mean it was Made in Mexico (and it says that too on the head stock). Not sure what the numbers mean...

----------------------------------------------
Life is a snowmobile racing across the frozen tundra that suddenly flips over pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasels come...

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'm not an expert but Ska I would bet your guitar was made on 10/20/1986 and Palehorse I'd guess yours was 3/27/04.

It's common to use some sort of intelligence in the numbers and the date is commonly what's used.

I could be wrong though.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Fender doesn't use a lot of intelligence in their numbers, though - they started out just numbering them, then went to letters before the numbers. Sometimes the letter is significant - like "E" for guitars made in the eighties, and "N" for the nineties... sometimes it's not significant. Sometimes the letter indicates where it was made - M for Mexico, etc. Sometimes the letters indicate a line - V for Vintage reissue, SE for signature edition.

The number part is always sequential (within a prefix) as far as I know.

Fender ALSO uses a neck stamp, as Wes noted. Sometimes it's a stamp, sometimes it's a lable, sometimes it's just penciled on. Those number can be significant, and typically give the batch number, month, year, and neck width.

These guys have changed their numbering scheme so many times, though... it's sometimes hard to tell exactly what you've got.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote