Clear all

Set-up on an acoustic

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've heard that a setup on an electric is simple, but that it is quite different to fix the intonation and action on an acoustic (it involves actually physically moving the bridge and stuff like that).

I was just curious, would a repair shop charge me more for a setup on an acoustic compared to an electric? (any pricings would be helpful) because i have an acoustic that needs better intonation (I don't really care about the action or anything like that because i'll be using it mostly for slide playing anyways). Thanks.

Steve-0

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

They typically run $30 USD. So about $100 CND 8) 8) 8) Just Joking! Don't know what the rate is right now.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

They typically run $30 USD. So about $100 CND 8) 8) 8) Just Joking! Don't know what the rate is right now.

Haha, nice one. Actually I think the exchange is at 20% or so, so it'd be under 40$, thanks alot.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Here in the Washington DC area a setup will cost you $50 US. Last time I got one done I had a compensated bone saddle put in at the same time for $70 total.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Long and McQuade in Toronto charged CAD38 plus 4.50 for strings and don't forget the tax...

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

But what does the Long and McQuade really setup for that price?

They had a "free basic setup with pruchase of two sets of gibson strings (I think it was gibson)" promotion but for my acoustic all the guy really did was change my strings, looked it over, and I think that's pretty much it in fact I had to mention to the tech that going from medium to extralight strings may need a truss rod change, which he did. So what would a fourty dollar one get you? String change? Truss rod adjustment? Nut or saddle filing?Then again maybe it's just their promotions, I've never seen a L and M promo that didn't suck (although the tech did quite a few things on the electrics during the free setup promotion.) They had a huge sale apparantly which was like only a bit off some select guitars form the ones that I looked at. And some trash they'd probably mark off anyways. They also had a "no interest or payments for a year" promotion during the time as the sale I believe. Sounds great right? Must be a catch, there is! From what I understand their fiscal year of that department or something starts the day after the sale ends, so as the salesman explained (as far as I understood it) the benefit of the promotion means that you don't have to pay interest as logn as you pay off the amount within I believe it was 24 hours after the purchase, any remainign sum would start off at their regular fairly high (although it usually is in retail) credit interest.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Well okay, finally found the bill, real set-up at 12th Fret CAD75. :D

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well okay, finally found the bill, real set-up at 12th Fret CAD75. :D

And what does "CAD75" mean? Is it 75 canadian dollars or am i just completely lost here?

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

And what does "CAD75" mean? Is it 75 canadian dollars

Yep that's it.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote