Clear all

SG necks

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sito71)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I really like the sound of an SG but being a strat "c" neck player...i find the neck pretty chunky and slow for me, do SG's come with different shaped necks (like strats have "v"' and "c" necks)?

If i could find one with a thinnner neck i think i'd make the sg my first Gibson purchase even before a les paul (which i thought was a no brainer until i heard Rivers Cuomo from Weezer playing his sg and i just loved the tone so i went to my store to try a few and they sure do sound good, even nicer than alot of L.P.'s i.m.o.)...just funny because i never considered an SG...now i'm thinking about it.

so what do you all think (for a strat player) SG or L.P.?...i'm torn :-)

(@boogieman)
Trusted Member

Try the 61 reissue. It's pretty thin, not exactly strat like, but much more comfortable than a paul, IMHO.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Definitely an SG over the LP for a Strat player. Hands down. The SG's body is much slimmer. I'm not sure about the neck, mine is definitely thicker than my Strat.

I'd kinda keep in mind that it is a different guitar with a different intent. Both have their place, but you won't find an SG that plays like a Strat.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Yeah, the SG isn't gonna feel like a fender. There's other factors besides neck shape. There's nut width, width at the 12th fret, and neck radius, too. Also, Gibson necks are bound, while Fenders have rolled edges. That's not to say that a strat player can't play a Gibson, though. Many people love both styles.

ReplyQuote