Clear all

Shelby GT Standard Stratocaster

92 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
11.5 K Views
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Yeah, that EJ strat has some nice features.
And, not really a bad price.

I have heard some complaints that the cross sawn neck limits sustain.
I couldn't say - as I've never played one.
Looks good on paper though. :)

You youngsters and your Hot Humbuckers!!!! :lol:
Not all tele's twang.
That 69 thinline RI, the one I heard was Mahogany.
That is a very mellow sounding wood.
So that coupled with the hollow upper sound chamber give that Tele a real nice toned down tone without giving up
the single coils. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWyO1GaXF6c
Here's Clapton playing what looks to be an early 60's tele deluxe (w/body binding).
Notice the neck????
It's a Strat neck.
And not just any ol' strat neck either - That's the neck off of the guitar he would use in his next band.
"Brownie"
The Famed Layla 56 2 color burst strat.

If I remember my rock lore correctly, they (Blind Faith) played this concert before the album came out.
You'll notice Steve Winwood repeat a phrase that on the album is different.
I think they were actually still working stuff out here.
And Clapton seems almost uncomfortable w/the Fender, as he had just switched to them from playing Gibbos.
He still plays thru the same twin Marshall stack w/split input cable as he did in his previous band - Cream.
I'm not quite sure what to think of the tone here - it is interesting though.

As far as the years go - you'd really have to dig into that.
There are conflicting stories about when the new Fender actually came out w/it's first mia guitars after the buy.
As far as I can tell, they bought it from CBS in 85 I believe - in name only. No hardware or production facillities.
That's why they didn't make any American equipment for a few years.
I've heard of so-called mia fenders in the years between 85-88, I don't know though.
I am of the impression that 88 was the first American production year.
If you were going to go with those first Am. production years, I would stick w/88-89's.
They started making changes in the finish after that to make them more even and glassy because of all the metal heads
from that era w/their shiny guitars.
While that really doesn't matter if you are gunna rip the SC pups out and play ULTRA HOT HB's through a processor,
an effects rack and a solid state amp - it will not soud good for just plug in and play.
The thinner the paint the better.

I don't know when they finally came to their senses - I would imagine sometime after Grunge put the rock back into rock and roll. :D

As for ones from the late CBS era, I think they can still be had at a resonable price - say a 77-79 3 color burst strat.
And they would only increase in value as they are becoming more and more sought after.
Those years though started coming w/black plastic instead of white.
Maybe worth it if you don't mind swapping plastic to give it the more classic look you like.
I think most CBS guitars from the early 80s are not that great. There's probably a few, they started getting wierd
about strats at that time though.

Remind me to tell you about running into Lynne's younger redhead sister several years ago :wink:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

I think I'll just have to play a whole bunch of expensive guitars until I find one I like :D
A lot of work, but I'll make the sacrifice :lol:

I'd never heard much from Blind Faith, but I must say I'm impressed. Awesome drumming from Ginger. He really makes the song

Also, do tell about Lynne's sister :wink:

Thanks again and Fly On

Ethan

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7