Clear all

Shine On You Crazy Diamond...

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Right then-I'm about to learn this bad boy-I have the tab and have decided to devote some time to it-Is it fairly easy yet rewarding???
I'm playing a while so hopefully I shouldn't have too much bother.
I've chose it mainly because of it's tempo as I'm nott to great at the lighting fast solo's...

(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

On the outside it may appear easy but the phrasings are quite hard to get sometimes. You really need to listen to the cd to get them right. Also pay close attention to the dynamics he uses. Good luck

ReplyQuote
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Rip-what do you mean by the dynamics???
Thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
(@neutron2k)
Eminent Member

This is a great song, and it is easy to play.

To completly nail it though, you need a really good clean amp with a decent amount of reverb to get the echo right on the clean intro. Also you need to have some really smooth bends with good finger vibrato to get it spot on.

Its in 7 parts as well!!!

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member

Gilmore's tones and melodies are some of the absolute best, ive been workin on this song too and each little piece i learn makes me smile from ear to ear :D

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

All I want to say is good luck. This is an awesome song and too long for me to attempt but I have been somewhat obsessed with it the last few days.

Remember when you were young....you shone like the SUN! SHINE ON YOU CRAAAZY DIAMOND!

Yeah, that song rules.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

By dynamics I mean the loudiness/softness of the tones. Throughout the solo he will play certain notes louder than others, and in order to get the sweet sound this is one thing you must pay attention to. Another big thing is the vibrato.

ReplyQuote
(@neutron2k)
Eminent Member

yeah the vibrato on the part 2 of the intro is an absolte must to get right. I've been playing floyd since i started guitar 16 years ago and this song is a wonderful piece to learn. It makes a nice change of pace to the kind of music you get these days (god im only 23 ad sound like im 60!). I'm used to playing a lot of styles, but this is always a nice song to warm up with.

Btw, does anyone know of a site for band recruitment within the uk? I really need to start a band.

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member

"dynamics" like intensity and technique are much more important in gilmours beautiful phrases then how many notes u can cram in and how fast u can play them, playing this song is so fun i think im gonna go for "Hey You" next, then comfortably numb. One day I'll get a steel guitar!

"Instead of just plugging into a 100-watt tube amp and cranking the bejesus out of it to get overdriven distortion, as many other '70's guitarists did, Gilmour set out first to create a strong clean tone and then blend in any fuzz or other effects on top of that solid clean sound" cool qoute from pink floyd website:)

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I echo everyone when mentioning the reverb and clean sound. The bigger challenge, as mentioned by many, is to get the voicing of the bends and vibrato down. Even off, it should be a blast. Start on part II

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote