Clear all

Short scale Strat

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was considering getting a short scale Strat (24" scale length, 35" total length), because it's about all that would fit in my Mini's trunk for lunch time practice sessions.

Has anyone ever played or heard a short scale Strat?
How do you think the playability and sound would be affected?

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I just bought a mini strat for my grandson as he can't handle a full-size yet but likes mine. It's for his 8th birthday, so I've had a little time to play it myself before giving it to him.

Because of the short scale, the strings won't be as taut as on a full scale guitar. With some minor adjustments to the action, pickup height and intonation all the buzzing has been eliminated. I haven't done this yet, but will probably restring with heavier strings as well. It will need to be tuned more frequently than normal, but it certainly won't hurt him to tune his guitar. The intonation will never be perfect, but it is quite close and acceptable.

I've played this guitar a good bit, and while I'm actually not fond of the short scale, I do like the guitar. It sounds and plays fine.

Our guitar instructor and I think this will be a fine guitar for my grandson for a while to come.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I just bought a mini strat for my grandson as he can't handle a full-size yet but likes mine. It's for his 8th birthday, so I've had a little time to play it myself before giving it to him.

Because of the short scale, the strings won't be as taut as on a full scale guitar. With some minor adjustments to the action, pickup height and intonation all the buzzing has been eliminated. I haven't done this yet, but will probably restring with heavier strings as well. It will need to be tuned more frequently than normal, but it certainly won't hurt him to tune his guitar. The intonation will never be perfect, but it is quite close and acceptable.

I've played this guitar a good bit, and while I'm actually not fond of the short scale, I do like the guitar. It sounds and plays fine.

I had my local guitar tech set up my son's Bradley 1/2 size twin pickup strat clone. He put 12's on it, and tuned the guitar up two steps, then set the intonation, action, and relief. Now it's a really FUN guitar to play with great action and rock solid tuning stability.

Have a good tech take a look at it. You might be surprised at how well the little thing can perform.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I had my local guitar tech set up my son's Bradley 1/2 size twin pickup strat clone. He put 12's on it, and tuned the guitar up two steps, then set the intonation, action, and relief. Now it's a really FUN guitar to play with great action and rock solid tuning stability.
Since it was for my grandson, I didn't really considering tuning it up. Maybe I'll give that a try when I up the strings.

-- John

There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Why such a string tension problem?
The scale length isn't much different than a Gibson or a Jaguar, is it?

Do your guitars still sound like Strats? or do they have more of that percussive Jaguar sound?

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

The scale length of the mini is about 2.75" shorter than the full-size strat, and 20 frets as opposed to 22. It still has a strat sound.

-- John

ReplyQuote