Clear all

Should I compain at the guitar store

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I changed the strings on my new guitar. I played for a maximum of 2 hours (spread across 2 or 3 days) and a string snapped.

Towards the end I noticed that the high E wouldn't stay in tune after any bends. 2 bends and it would go half a step flat. I retuned it once and did a few bends, had to retune again, and then after the third time it snapped. It snapped right at the end where the string is attached to the color-coded ball that locks into the bridge.

I feel like it must have been a faulty string. Do I have a case to ask for a new string?

Problem is I bought the strings about 3 months ago (do strings have an expiry date?).

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

iv never had a problem with the strings before, have you checked the intonation on the guitar?
its natural for the strings to go horribly out of tune for a while when there new, its just a result of them stretching.
is it possible for you to bring the guitar they snapped on with you to the store along with the 'ex'strings? they might be able to tell you which was the problem?

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Are you trained at all to work on guitars? or were you just winging it?

The way you attach and stretch strings when you put a new set on can make them break. Light strings, especially elixers break very quickly in my experience.

I'd ask the shop for advice on restringing, there are a few things to consider.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I wouldn't complain to the store. Are you sure you put the strings on right?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think so. I've changed strings on other guitars dozens of times.

It's a squier 51, it doesn't get more standard than that. Besides it was only one string that wouldn't stay in tune.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

A new string is in the price range of a buck or two. I don't think it is worth the hassle or the loss of good will betweeen your store and yourself at that price point. It is quite easy to mistakenly snap a string and I don't thnk the store is responsible but may just give one to satisfy a customer. Like someone said tho you might take in the axe to let them look at it. One of my friends 51's had a nut that would bind when he tried to tune and I have heard of others with saddles that needed burrs removed etc.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Light strings, especially elixers break very quickly in my experience.
What's the deal with that? I almost never break strings, but I snapped an elixer just the other day ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

A new string is in the price range of a buck or two. I don't think it is worth the hassle or the loss of good will betweeen your store and yourself at that price point. It is quite easy to mistakenly snap a string and I don't thnk the store is responsible but may just give one to satisfy a customer. Like someone said tho you might take in the axe to let them look at it. One of my friends 51's had a nut that would bind when he tried to tune and I have heard of others with saddles that needed burrs removed etc.
Robbie

Definitely check for burrs.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@hockey-rocker)

Yea, I tend to break high E strings more than others. Maybe some G strings every now and then. I was getting bummed out because I ended up with a drawer full of Ernie Ball Slinky packs that had no 10 gauge strings in 'em. To solve this dilemma I went online to Musicians Friend and ordered a pack of no-name strings that were all 10s. The quality is pretty good. They work fine for me and I'm using up all my oddball packs now.

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

Probably my most important relationship is the one I have with my local music storer. They've gott me out of messes, advised me and generally been there when I've needed the. If you are lucky enough to have a similar music shop in your area then quite honestly the few coppers a new string will cost is hardly worth the hassle. Of course you could ask them to look over the string and get some advice from them (much nicer than yelling and trying to impale them on a rusty park railing) - my experience is that the people in teh shop like to be treated like experts so if you treat them with respect you'll end up with a good deal.

If it's the way you put the string on they'll give you a few tips and usually for free. Oh .. and if you are lucky the guy might throw in one of the freebies that some sales rep has foisted on him the day before.

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice fellas. Like most of you said for the price of a string it isn't worth making a fuss so I won't. The truth is I already have a very bad relationship with the people at the store. The store is full of @#%&#$&s. A clique of teenagers laughing in the store that wouldn't pay attention to a customer unless he's looking at a Martin. They also giggle at beginners trying out guitars. When I was a beginner I used to be terrified to try out guitars there.

Only reason I shop there is because it's the only store that has Ernie Ball and D'addarios.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Sounds like you need to find a new store, just because they carry a certain string is no reason to stay loyal to them.

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Sounds like you need to find a new store, just because they carry a certain string is no reason to stay loyal to them.

I'm not loyal. I only buy strings from there. I buy everything else from another store, with very professional and friendly staff.

Besides there's only two guitar stores in my town.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Then why not ask the nice store to get the strings you like, or buy them online?

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Then why not ask the nice store to get the strings you like, or buy them online?

I agree with Biker Jim. Why give them the satisfaction of laughing at people and their business? I'm sure you have your reasons for going there, but if enough people stood up to them, it might send a message. Then again, maybe not. Just my two cents worth.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2