Clear all

shoulder pain

24 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Its my left shoulder. I always slept with it in a weird position waking up with pain and having to slowly move it in a normal position. Now most of my playing has been done in classical position. I've been told to use casual and lately I have been, so that my arm is hanging down straighter more natural. Anyway it feels like where my arm and shoulder connect is not attached right or something, if I move it wrong it spasms out (painful) when I play i feel stress there. Anyway the point here is if anyone gets shoulder pain and what ya do about it. I have a doc's appointment tomorrow i'm gonna mention it

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

someone else was on these boards with a problem and the subject of physical therapy came up. tell your doctor that you want to see a physical therapist. a physical therapist has specialized education in musculo-skeletal disorders and can help you find ways to relieve the pain and prevent more from occurring. you especially want to avoid a frozen shoulder.

(disclaimer: i'm a physical therapist.)

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I'd also suggest some relaxation techniques. Could be your tensing up while playing and making the pain worse.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"Fixing" your shoulder by lowering the guitar may just transfer your troubles to your wrist.

Seeing a PT's not a bad idea. If you can find one who plays guitar, so much the better!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks folks, before I see PT I thought I would seek out an x-ray, but i'll ask the doctor which by the way is a lousy doctor but its a plan i'm on and its the only doc they have. I wouldn't be surprized if this doc just told me take motrin

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member

ACtually your best bet is an MRI in case there is any socket damage...but until then ibuprofen will do the trick ;)

I've had quite a bit of issues in my left shoulder so I know how ya feel...I started workin out about a year a go just to keep in shape, and ive noticed after stretchinig and a workout, playing the guitar is much easier and relaxed.

Many animals were harmed in the making of this signature.

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

In general, shoulder pain is related to a weakness one of the rotator cuff muscles. There are specific movements that isolate and test each of them. This is taught to chiropractors, naturopaths and some MDs. Most chiropractors have brochures with exercises for this. A web search might provide more information, if you're interested in doing it yourself.

Another great technique involves using a tennis ball. You put it under a sore spot, lie down on it, and roll it around to loosen things up. Doing it initially on a bed is less painful than on a floor or rug. The larger exercise balls (big enough to sit on) are based on the same idea.

Here are some info pages
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Diseases/Back_Pain.html
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Diseases/Bursitis.html
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Diseases/Tendinitis.html

Dr. Ron

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Went to the doc today...sending me to a orthopedic guy i think. They take x-rays, mri is possible if my insurance will pay. My doc also said motrin (as i figured) but i would rather have a sore shoulder then stomach cramps :x in the meantime I could try rollin around on a tennis ball i guess

ReplyQuote
(@sport)

Keep us informed as to your prognosis.

I too have been experiencing shoulder pains, but in the right shoulder. I figured it was from cutting 6 cords of wood...last month. But it seems to flair up after playing guitar more than several hours at a time, which I'm doing daily now. I've had similar issues with other areas and find these areas to be weak muscles. In short, I need to be lightly excercising my shoulders to regain the strength. The tennis bal thingy is also a good way to stretch out the muscles before and after excercising.

I hope this is all your experiencing as well as it is a relatively easy and inexpensive repair.

SPORT

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

You think you've got it bad.
Thanks to wrestling, football, and weight lifting, I can make my shoulder crack better than my knuckles...

When I reached for the mouse just now it did it on its own.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

SPORT, Thanks yes stronger muscles would help also younger muscles, but i'm a couch potato and getting older :wink:
You think you've got it bad.
Thanks to wrestling, football, and weight lifting, I can make my shoulder crack better than my knuckles...

When I reached for the mouse just now it did it on its own.

Yeah my shoulder been crackin it feels good....BTW you should quit the sports and stick to guitar if your young the guitar could be useful one day, but take it easy no matter what ya do :)

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Keep us informed as to your prognosis.

OK, you asked for it :wink: I got frozen shoulder and got a cortizone shot and will be going to PT for 4 weeks. I really don't think this is guitar related but it could limit my playing till it improves. BTW I asked the doc if I will be able to play guitar and he said yes, to which I replied "good cause I can't play now" :) anyway probably no need for any more updates

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

"Fixing" your shoulder by lowering the guitar may just transfer your troubles to your wrist.

Seeing a PT's not a bad idea. If you can find one who plays guitar, so much the better!

sage advice :D I have had the same problem, You need to take care of it BE FOR you need surgery :shock: It sounds like you are on it 8) 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks dog, seems i caught in the the frozen stage, well thats me procratinater. I think i'm in for pain with the PT, their gonna jerk it around :x OUCH...glad you got through yours ok

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I haven't been able to play my guitar for over a week now. I just about tore my right arm off 6 years ago, and have a prosthesis for my upper humerus. Thursday last week I gave blood, and then got overheated, sweated a lot and got dehydrated. Started to faint, tried to kneel down, but went face first with a loud BANG in the pushup position. My shoulder hurts again about like it did after the surgery, and my index finger's gone numb. My orthopedist doesn't think I've torn my shoulder up again, but it sure gets to hurting badly. I've got to wear a carpal tunnel splint on my right hand at night for a while to see if the numbness will improve.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2