showcase / workshop fees

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@forrest)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello All,
I've been teaching the guitar for a little while now and have started to look at showcases / workshops in schools.
This would involve one hour, probably in curriculum time, performing in various styles, a discussion about guitar basics and the chance for some of the children to have a go at playing.
What I want to know is the going rate for such work, i.e what should I charge?
I have people suggesting figure from £20 - £200.
This seems a little too wide ranging a quote!!
Does anyone do this sort of thing?
Does anyone here have an idea of a going rate.
I live and work in England by the way.
Thankyou in advance.
Richard.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

That seems really pricey to me. I'm thinking about packaging the same sort of thing for day camps this summer, and I was figuring somewhere between $5-7 per student for 2-4 hours - with use of guitars included (I'm still working out details on getting 20+ 3/4 size guitars, transport, etc.). On the total income side, that would be in the $100-280 range for 20 students, or $50-70 per hour of my time - not figuring guitar costs, advertising, etc. When you add up the costs, I'll probably end up with less than giving private lessons, but I might get ongoing students from it.

If you have luck getting 200 pounds an hour, be sure to let me know!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@forrest)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I assume £200 is a fee that some of the more experienced players / teachers can command. Presumably they will also have excellent reputations and perhaps celebrity status / connections.

I charge £20 / hr for individual lessons so I guess I'll work from that figure adding expenses but also time. A one hour lesson takes one hour but a showcase would take up about 3 hours including preparaton and setting up at least.

If I get the BIG 200 I'll be sure to let you know,
Thanks.
Richard.

ReplyQuote