Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Sick of "vintage" wah...Recommendations?

23 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey,
Well at moment I have a Dunlop Crybaby, but I really dont like the tone. Im not really after that "classic 60s and 70s" tone that every single damn wah pedal seems to boast. I mean image u play classic rock n roll and every distortion pedal you see boasts "uber mind blowingly heavy gain!"...Wouldnt you get pretty fed up? Thats what it seems to be like with wah pedals!

Anywho. Rant over. (breath out...) What im looking for is a really expressive, crazy, space-age sounding pedal. I've found the Steve Vai pedals but their pretty expensive and I could use something which sounds a little more "out there" anyway.

Maybe what im looking for doesnt exist, but hey. Any ideas?
Oh and if it helps, I play instrumental rock primarily. Think Vai, Satch etc.

Thanks for reading

(@fizz6207)

Ive got an Ibanez Weeping Demon wah, its not one that boasts having a vintage sound and to me it seems to have a lot more severe wah than others. It much more adjustable too with several knobs to adjust the level and frequencies etc.

It has a few extra features too, it can be set for bass wah, and can also be set so you dont have to turn it on via the footswitch, but simply put your foot on it and it automatically turns on. If that doesnt suit you it has a little footswitch next to it (I prefer this to the wahs you have to press down on to turn on).

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/151026/

This looks like one you would be interested in.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/151026/

This looks like one you would be interested in.

AAaaaarghhh! lol :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I own the Dunlop Crybaby and the Vox V847. I like the Vox much better. It sounds fabulous with a clean sound, but not so great with distortion. I do not think it is what you want for distortion.

The other guitar player in my band has a Morley, not sure of which model (it's old). I gotta admit, it sounds real good with distortion. I would check them out.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Morley or Demon weeping would be good for distortion.

I have the Dunlop like Wes Inman, great on clean and so so on distortion. I guess it depends on the type of music your wanting to produce. like if it's real heavy then go with the demon wah.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

...Im not really after that "classic 60s and 70s" tone that every single darn wah pedal seems to boast. I mean image u play classic rock n roll and every distortion pedal you see boasts "uber mind blowingly heavy gain!"...Wouldnt you get pretty fed up? Thats what it seems to be like with wah pedals!....

Yah I know that feeling! Cool that you'd bring it up though, but it's totally true.

I have an old '70s' Dunlop, but I 'bought' it in the 70s, so it was state of the art at the time And that's the thing: back when all the 'classic' stuff was being designed and built (and bought and used by 'classic' artists), nobody 'wanted' anything to sound like anything else! The whole idea was to sound new and unheard of before, NOT like someone else. It was like the exact antithesis to get something so that you could sound like someone else. Coverband guys, yes, but the guys and the acts and bands that were out there, 'inventing' what would become 'classic' weren't trying - at least consciously maybe - to sound like the other guy. Or they'd get some idea from someone else, and then try to make it their own.

Now we have Digitech Clapton and Hendrix pedals!

Okay, my own rant over :)

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

I have a Morley Power Wah, and i hate it.it sounds nice, but emitts lots of noise when irs swiched on in your pedal chain, and it's frequiency range is so big, that when you move it back, it adds soooo much bass, that the volume goes really low. It's good for clean though!

Cheers,
Leo.

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I can remember buying my first orginal Dunlop Crybaby. It wasn't what I expected at all!!! The sad thing is that I broke it within a day, the little button broke after I stepped (kicked) on it so hard.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Morley or Ibanez

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Or, the Budda wah. Those are great:

http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/Budda.html

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member

Morley.

Also, I've found Vox sound more "vintage" than Crybaby pedals (which is why I like Vox :D)

Epiphone Black Beauty Les Paul 3-pickup (Hawk)
Marshall DSL401 run on clean channel

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hmm. This is difficult. I would be tempted to go for the Weeping Demon, because of its massive flexibility so ill try it out eventually. But theres nowhere near me that has a Morley I could try out...Their wah/volume pedal sounds very cool :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

DUNLOP 535Q Multi-Wah, one of the BEST wahs made. You can get anything out of it. And it even has a boost switch to bring out your sound even more.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

The Boss wahs are amazing:

http://bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=115

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2