Slide Guitar!

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@matthew)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I'm hopeing some of you can help. A few months back I baught myself a new fender electric acoustic. It's awesome. Anyway, I asked my guitar teacher what I should do with my old yamaha with the horribly messed up action, and he suggested slaping a hawaiian nut on it and turning it into a slide guitar, since the messed up action isn't a big deal, if a deal at all then.

So anyway, I threw some money down on a new nut and a slide (I got a copper one, I heard was better for more country like songs instead of the chrome for blues). Anyway... now I have nothing to play, so I was wondering if there are slide tabs out there. Are they harder to read?

I guess any information on slide guitar would be nice. Are there any online tutorials or anything? I'm at university so I don't have my guitar teacher around anymore, just in the summer. =/

Hope someone can help.

- Matthew

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

(@sunsetncnja)
Trusted Member

I'm no slide master, but I've heard most slide guitar is done in alternate or open chord tunings, so I guess that would be the first place to start. I think open G and E are the most used.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Check out -I know, shut up already with it Taso- clapton's layla. Cool slide guitartowards the end ofthat song.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@the_fifth_beatle)
Trusted Member

Not sure of your level but try this one:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=66

stop...i have found a genius...stop...

ReplyQuote
(@sasquatch)

edit double post

My S&P guitar is Canadian.
My Strat is Mexican.
I'm somewhere in the Middle Kingdom.

ReplyQuote
(@sasquatch)

Here is where you need to go for a quick intro to slide in oopen G:

http://www.tle.se/slideguitar.html

Good luck and let's hear how it's going!

My S&P guitar is Canadian.
My Strat is Mexican.
I'm somewhere in the Middle Kingdom.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Mathew

That is SO weird. I nearly posted exactly the same thread on here yeasterday as i am interested in learning it too.

Whoever said open tunings work well gave good advice, try open E tuning D A D F# A D, play around at frets 5, 7 and 12.

There is a nice bit about slide guitar on the Slowhand Blues website, its worth checking this out, with the added plus of a lot of good tabs of Clapton stuff.

And wear it on your pinkie to leave other fingers free to play notes / chord shapes.

I wish you luck, be interesting to hear how you get on.

Cheers

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

try open E tuning D A D F# A D

That would be open D. :) Also try DADGAD.

You can slide to any note in the key from two frets below it and it will sound good. Also use a lot of open strings.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't put one of those raised nuts on it. That's only for lap (or Hawaiian) style playing with a steel. For bottleneck it should still be frettable. Heavier strings and a slightly high action are advantageous for better supporting the slide so you don't knock into the fretboard as much, but it doesn't take any special setup to play slide. My teacher usually grabbed random new guitars off the music store racks, tuned 'em to Open D (occasionally E, G, A, whatever) and took off. It does take finesse with the slide to do this.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I took David Hodge's advice on this one......took the "old cheese-slicer", as he called it, used a fair bit of duct tape on it to stick it all together, raised the action and voila......a practise guitar!!! I usually keep it tuned in open G.......D G D G B D, from 6th to first, so you can see strings 2 3 & 4 aren't changed, while strings 1 5 & 6 are just tuned down 2 semi-tones. Next time I change strings on it, I'm going for a heavier gauge....the heavier the better seems to be the general consensus of opinion.

There are a couple of lessons on here worth a look......"If not for you" is a good introduction, with a couple of very useful tips......

And a couple of songs to practise?

Lookin' out my back door - CCR
Stand by me - Lennon
In my time of dying - Led Zep (sounds ambitious, but the main riff is pretty straightforward)
Little Red Rooster - Stones

Lookin' out my back door is particularly useful...try working out the solo in normal EADGBE tuning and playing it normally, then try playing it using slide....it'll give you a few pointers as to the different techniques required...

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

The only slide guitar song that comes to my mind is "In My Time of Dying" by Zeppelin. Overall it looks like it'ed be a good place to start learning slide...

https://www.guitarnoise.com/led_zeppelin/physical_graffiti/in_my_time_of_dying_tab.txt

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote