Clear all

Slowing down for practice

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'll shamefully admit that in my 7 or 8 years of guitar playing, I haven't done much practice at a slower BPM using a metronome when learning a song. :oops: I've played parts slower on my own, but rarely slowed them down using an actual time source. If I did slow down the guitar pro file, I'd go to 1 tempo, try to learn the part, then bump it right back up to the original tempo and then get frustrated when I couldn't play it.

Tonight, I decided I was going to learn the solo in Tesla's acoustic cover of "Signs". It's not a complicated solo, but it's pretty quick, especially since I don't really play lead. I opened the GP file in tux guitar and had to slow it down to get the rhythm of the solo down. I decided I was going to learn to play it all the way through before speeding up and only speeding up 5 bpm at a time. It's originally about 82 bpm and I had to go all the way down to 52 to play through it. But, I got it down and bumped up my speed. When I went to 55, it took a few times to get it back down again. Then I went to 62 and played it through the first time. I did stay there and have several mistakes later, but I was pretty happy. Went to 67 and the same thing happened. 72 was tough, but I got it down. I've yet to conquer 77 to my satisfaction. I have gotten through a couple of times, but have mistakes more often than not. I bumped back down to 72 and nailed it.

Another advantage is I've played the part so many times, I'm pretty sure it will help me remember it better. Lesson learned, I've found my new practice method.

Bass player for Undercover

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I pretty much do what you have been doing. I practice slow until I think I'm close and then I try and play along with the recording. I don't use a metronome or any software to try an play to a slowed down version.

I'm sure that's the way to go I'm lazy I guess.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I also use that method. I frequently use a metronome for that. I used to slow down the song when the QuickTime player had that feature.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

My version of QT still does, Nuno. I'm using v. 7.6.9...
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm using v10.0 with the "old" Snow Leopard. I think I could install a previous version, too. I didn't investigate :)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Slowing down and building up slowly sounds like a very good way to go. I gotta get more disciplined about doing it systematically though... :oops:

I'm using v10.0 with the "old" Snow Leopard. I think I could install a previous version, too. I didn't investigate :)

Hi Nuno,

I'm using Snow Leopard and you can instal two different version without difficulty. V10 is in 'Applications'. I found an older version that was recommended for some of its features (V.7) and it installed in Applications/Utilities . Keeping both is no problem.

Download Qt7 from the Apple site. If you're running Snow Leopard there should be a link on the right of the page

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've not done that in ages. I bet it's mostly due to a strong focus on cramming in lots of rhythm and little lead.

Still, when I did try it, I didn't stick with it long enough. I'd do the big reduction thing, but never increased it slowly using software and followed along. I would get the basic feel for it and kind of get my speed going bit by bit without knowing where I was at. I'm sure the technique you describe by following along with slightly inceased rates and working up is probably much better than my lame attempts. :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Nuno,

I'm using Snow Leopard and you can instal two different version...

Thank you, Chris! :D

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I don't want to sound cocky .... but I usually just play stuff after hearing it. I mean, I might do it slow 2 or 3 times to figure out the notes. Speed isn't my issue. My issue is just remembering what is next. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if i'm not good enough to play something, i just put it on the back burner and keep doing my thing until i can. i just don't have the patience for what you do.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

if i'm not good enough to play something, i just put it on the back burner and keep doing my thing until i can. i just don't have the patience for what you do.
My preferred method as well. I just dug out 3 or 4 this weekend. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

That's why I still can't play hardly any lead after 7 years. I gave up too quickly and just went back to strumming chords. Of course, now my focus is on bass, but I've been jamming with a friend on acoustics and he is singing, so I figured i'd pick up lead duties.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote