Clear all

Small (all) tube amp?

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a berhingher 60 watt combo thats awesome, but,: 1. its sound craps out when i turn it down 2. It's too complicated for my tastes, i just like to crank and rip! i was wondering what tube amp should i get. it needs to be under 500, not complicated, sounds good, and low wattage. (60 watts in my garage is a little too much for my parents :roll: ) So, it seems that the perfect amp is the fender pro junior. its less than 300! Any opinions?

Stairway to Freebird!

(@danrobertson)
Eminent Member

I've heard attenuators mentioned loads recently. Couldn't you use one of those to crank your current amp and use the attenuator to drop the volume? I think by doing that you'd get the cranked sound at a lower volume.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

get a tube amp though and then get the attentuator.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Check out the Fender Pro Jr and Blues Jr or Peavy Classic 30. They're real simple but sound really nice. You could also get an attentuator, but i've never tried one so I cant make a call on that.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

okin for a used amp at under $500.00. Or you could look at a pignose.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i like the pro junior beacause its cheap, i was just wondering how it sounds.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

i like the pro junior beacause its cheap, i was just wondering how it sounds.

Tried both the Pro and Blues Juniors and ended up with the Blues because it has a better tone stack, more (and selectable gain) and reverb. All that made it worth the extra $$$ -- especially for gigging. Nevertheless, both the Pro and Blues are respectable amps, each used pretty extensively for pro recording.

Very satisfied wth the BJ.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Greg is right. But many people love the Pro Junior and say it's BAD (that's good). It sounds more toward a Marshall tone.

Go to Harmony Central and read the reviews.

Blues Junior Reviews

Pro Junior Reviews

Both are two of Fenders best sounding amps and have a loyal following. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I own a Fender Pro Jr, and it has a really good dynamic clean sound. Around 4-5 on the volume level and you get a real good tube distortion with lots of sustain and grit.

The downside is that it's a one trick pony, no reverb or effects and you still have to crank it to distort. Also, even though its a small amp, if you want to crank it to half volume to get a good tone it is still really loud. I have also played a Blues Jr, which has reverb, but I thought the reverb sounded bad. I also liked the Peavy Classic 30, that is a good amp too.

I would go to a store and try them all, the Pro Jr I bought was $300 and the Blues Jr was in the upper $300's. Hope this helps.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

When I walked into guitar center a few months ago to buy some new strings for my accoustic I went over to try out a Tele at their Fender display. At first I looked at the Cyber twins and champs, but I couldn't even figure out how to turn them on. I walk around past the HRD's and see a blues jr on the floor. I immediately spotted the toggle, plugged in, flicked it on and tried it out. It was a dream to play with.

It's really simple, the controls are all right there and it's easy to figure them out. And this was my first time playing an electric! I'ed have stayed much longer had the place not been packed and the bass strings horribly out of tune.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Blues Jr's are neato amps. I'm always suprised at how sweet they sound, despite their diminuitive stature.

It's good times.

Incidentally, tally up one more for the Peavey Classic 30. They have a great sound.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member

the vintager?

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

If youre talking about the amp i have now, yes, its a Beringher AC112 Vintager.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help too! I thought about it, and now im leaning toward the Peavey Classic 30 or the Blues JR.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

but does anybody know about the v-series V58? Its made in usa, 5 all tube watts (thats good, so i wont piss my parents off too much!) and gets good reviews. I seems almost like the Gibson GA-5 Junior but for half the cost! its $260! Anybody know about these?

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2