Clear all

Small Hands?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Yankee99402
(@yankee99402)
Topic starter  

Hey... im 14 and i play guitar... I got small hands yes, and it makes it hard to play some stuff... Is there a way i can make it so my fingers can bend further??? lol like an exercise? :) :x

SMOKEHOUSE
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

yeh its called growing up :roll: but when you get old again they shrink :( enjoy the middle bit.....umm what was it?...doh!

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

ReplyQuote
cyranodb
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Don't sweat the small hands. I'm from full blooded sicilian decent which means the short, round, fat genes and the small sausage fingers. But you can improve reaching for those notes by practicing. One thing that I did and still do is practice playing single notes up and down the fret-board, especially using my pinky to play two frets away. In time you'll improve your ability to clearly play those notes. There are better people here that can describe what I'm trying to say so you might want to take a look at what they write. But whatever you do, if your hand or fingers hurt while doing any exercise stop doing it because you don't want an injury that will prevent you from playing at all.

Just keep playing what you can and have fun, and work on what just isn't there yet and it will come in time. :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
cyranodb
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Don't sweat the small hands. I'm from full blooded sicilian decent which means the short, round, fat genes and the small sausage fingers. But you can improve reaching for those notes by practicing. One thing that I did and still do is practice playing single notes up and down the fret-board, especially using my pinky to play two frets away. In time you'll improve your ability to clearly play those notes. There are better people here that can describe what I'm trying to say so you might want to take a look at what they write. But whatever you do, if your hand or fingers hurt while doing any exercise stop doing it because you don't want an injury that will prevent you from playing at all.

Just keep playing what you can and have fun, and work on what just isn't there yet and it will come in time. :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
Wes Inman
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Two things that will help you reach with small hands:

1) Keep your thumb behind the neck.

There are many exceptions to this rule. When you bend strings it is necessary to wrap the thumb over the top of the neck to give you extra strength. But when possible, keep the thumb behind the neck. There should also be a gap between the palm of your fretting hand and the neck. Curl your fingers over. I always tell people to pretend their hand is a spider.

2) Keep the headstock up.

Hold your guitar at an angle with the headstock up around ear level. This will also give you greater reach.

Here is a photo of a bass player. As you can see, his thumb is behind the neck, and palm off the neck. And he has the headstock up. I am not saying to hold your guitar this upright, but maybe a 45 degree angle is good.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Elecktrablue
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I have small hands, too, but it's really not a big problem. You'll find that with practice your hands will become stronger and your reach will get longer, just from sheer repetition. When I first started back playing, I tried to play a basic blues shuffle, like this:
E-Shuffle
|--------------------------|
|--2--2--4--4--2--2--4--4--|
|--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--|

It was about all I could do to reach the fourth fret with my pinkie, my ring finger wouldn't reach, but, one day I picked up my guitar and all of a sudden my ring finger just popped right over there and it rang out loud and clear!

Now, I can reach a 2-2-4-4-5-5-4-4-2-2 which means that I can cover 4 frets instead of my original 3 frets that I struggled with. I'll never be able to stretch much more than that because of my hands, but, as you progress, you'll discover ways to get around the hand size problem!!

So, boiled down, my reply would be: Practice, stretch your fingers and practice some more. You'll get there! :D Good luck!

Oh! And do what Wes said and keep your thumb behind the neck. Mine never even peeks over the top of the neck, but, and I don't know if this is good advice or not, but it works for me, occasionally I find my thumb at the bottom of the neck, which allows me more stretch on the E A and D strings.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
andrewlubinus89
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

It's important to understand that it is easy to make up exercises for yourself. Need a hand stretching excersise? Just make up a pattern that involves all your fingers with frets farther away from each other than what you are used to playing and keep at it until you mastered it. It was an important step for me to realize that most of the exersises online weren't better than ones I could make up and now I can deal with these technique issues a lot faster.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote