Clear all

Smashing Guitars

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The new Hard Rock Cafe New York will officially open at its new location at 1501 Broadway upon the smashing of more than 100 Gibson guitars, branding the moment as the World's Largest Guitar Smash. The historic guitar smash and opening of the Times Square cafe will kick off a month-long celebration, which will include rockin' concerts and special events, as well as a grand opening party, featuring a live performance by super group Velvet Revolver. The grand opening celebration will benefit Peace Games, a non-profit organization dedicated to ending the trend of violence in the U.S. by teaching children to become peacemakers in their schools and communities.

http://www.hardrock.com/corporate/press/content.aspx?id=129

I ran across this on the web and in the recent isse of Guitar World and I was appalled. While smashing 100 guitars may sound like fun, it seems to me to be a waste and a shame. At a time when musicians are swpet out of their homes in New Orleans and all over the Gulf Coast, and schools cutting back on music programs it seems a terrible shameful waste to destroy instruments.

Not only that, but as a benefit to aid anti-violence programs, it seems that smashing guitar isn't the right message to send.

Sorry to bother people with my tirade, and I am sure that some people will say "Yeah... smashing good", but I had to express my opinion with someone.