Clear all

Smooth - Santana

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I don't know if this should be in here or the theory forum, but its alot more busy here so I'll let someone else move it if they want.

I was exploring Gearbox software that came with my Line 6 Toneport, and found a tone for Smooth by Santana and Rob Thomas. I learned the lead to it, and everything sounded good, but I got to wondering about his style. What kinda scale is he using throughout the song. Its based very much around the 12th fret. I learned the licks, but I'd rather be able to improvise a bit when playing it.

Who wants to help be out?

Thanks,

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Doesn't Santana tend to play out of the Dorian mode -- Dorian licks?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Everybody says Santana plays in Dorian. Most of the tunes I've looked at in depth aren't - they're hexatonic (minor pentatonic with an added 2). That gives you 1-2-b3-4-5-b7.

Since Dorian is 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7, they sound a lot alike. But without the sixth, it's not Dorian; the missing note could just as easily be b6, which would make it Aeolian!

I know Smooth. After I wake up a bit I'll play through it and take a look.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

A melodic minor.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Tom. I was hoping you'd come chime in on this thread actually so I could tap into a good resource on theory. I'll have a look for some information on the melodic minor.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Tom, you're a madman! :shock: (Secretly, I run to the library to read more about music theory). That's really interesting having the 2 and flat 3.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote