Clear all

SO FRUSTRATED!

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@zebco)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I have been practicing hours and hours....trying to play better, and play songs I like (mostly death metal). Im homeschooled, so I spend half of my day behind a guitar...every day. I really want to learn some Kalmah and Insomnium songs, but no matter how many tabs I look at, or how many video lessons I search for (which there is no video lessons for Kalmah or Insomnium....and im terrible with tabs so I have to use videos), I cant get better! Im frustrated with this to the point I cant even have fun playing anymore. I dont enjoy the songs I know how to play.

Im not giving up on it, but do you guys know of any decent video lessons out there for Kalmah and Insomnium songs? Is there any advice on some fun, sort of easy, good sounding death metal songs that I could learn and actually have FUN playing for a change? Just to give me a break from the frustration.....

All help is appreciated :wink:

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I don't know the bands but I assume the are newer death metal bands. If so you will have trouble finding any video's for those.

The best chance you have is with tabs or if there is a tab book at one of the guitar stores or something but I've never seen them there.

So that leaves you with a couple choices, tab them out by yourself(mayeb to difficult) or get some lessons and work them out with an instructor.

I guess there might be a 3rd way and that would be to find someone that knows the songs that could help you.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@zebco)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I think they are early 2000s bands....Kalmah is from finland, and im dont know where Insomnium is from.

I dont have any friends that play the same style as me. I have one friend that plays very well, but he likes classic blues. He's a hippie....hippies hate death metal.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

everyone hates death metal.

downnload a song you like, play it on winamp or something with a slow-down program. learn it by ear.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Playing by ear sounds like your best option, or going the lessons route.

There isn't a huge market out there for teaching death metal online. And if you keep beating your head about it, you'll never learn it...take some time off...a few days...a week....then come back to it with a fresh and open mind.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@easewlad)

Hi,

I would agree with Joe but add that it may be useful to learn to read tab. I will leave aside any discussion of stndard notation.

A quick internet search should give plenty of sites or you could try some of the lessons on this site

https://www.guitarnoise.com/help/guitar-tab/ which leads on. Or get some tabs for the songs you do know and see how they look. Tabs can be of varying quality though.

For those particular bands there appears to be several tabs over on Ultimate Guitar one of which leads on to a You Tube
Vid which shows how he plays quite clearly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcda2NG5N3o . Try to ignore the cat.

I would pick a few phrases from these and learn to play them perfectly very slowly, then s build up to full speed step by step.

Finally these bands are almost certainly playing in different tunings. So if you try to play the tabs with your guitar in standard, at best, it will be in a different key.

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I got pretty frustrated too, still do in fact. But I decided fairly early that any progress was better than a frustrating brick wall. I learnt anything I could find to expand what I could play and practice when I picked up the guitar.

I really want to shred some 80's solos, but I know I'm still way off being able to do this.
In the meantime I've picked up a little theory, some fingerpicking, some acoustic blues, some percussive techniques, and basically expanded my knowledge. If I'd have kept on trying to bash my head against those screaming solos, I'd have chucked it in.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Actually Kroikey brings up a good point. Don't get so hung up on playing only the songs by those bands. Why don't you find tabs and or videos of other death metal bands so you can work on the techniques that the genre requires. I'm sure there must be other stuff available.

You'll be learning new songs and making progress and also you may end up liking other songs you never thought you would. As your skill develops maybe you can go back and re-look at the ones you are having trouble with now.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

It's hard to find videos to go with stuff that isn't super popular.

And death metal is always a minority taste. There are LOTS of tabs out there, though you say you don't read tab.

I'm gonna say that you don't read tab YET. It's too useful a tool to skip- and it's too easy to let it be a real barrier. In an afternoon, you can figure it out- tab is not hard. The lines represent the strings, the numbers represent the frets. The order they ARE in is the order you play them in. It's really not too hard. (Some will point out that tab doesn't usually tell you the rhythm. This is true, but with songs you have heard, and have saved somewhere that you can listen to them, it's not too big a deal.)

Also, do you have GuitarPro? It's a pretty useful program for guitarists, and can help with learning songs- if you've got it, I've got a guitarpro file for "Down With the Sun" that I'd be happy to send you.

All the best,
Ande

PS- not EVERYBODY hates death metal!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

To combine patience that comes with age and the bull-headed (not a bad thing) energy of youth. Man, I coulda been a pretender. :)

OK, seriously, you will always have songs that are either above your skill level or a skill not yet learned. Always. In 50 years, you will have things that frustrate you about guitar playing. The quicker you divert all of that "frustration" energy into "what do I need to learn" energy, the better. Once you identify what it is that you do not know, than you can learn it. It's not as simple as saying "I don't know how to play that song". You've gotta dig and research. How is he tuning his guitar? Which pickup(s). Which pedals and in what order. Which amps. What was his left hand doing. What about his right hand? Is there a whole new technique(s) that you've yet to learn? Break it down. Heck, I can't tell you how many songs I shelved for a while because I needed to learn a few different techniques or something, and then come back to them and play them first try.

RE: TAB: I do agree with everyone and say yes, learn the TAB. TAB is simple. TAB is not all inclusive, though. That's what there's standard notation to go along with it some times. Helps out for the timing and other things. I still need to learn the by-the-ear thing. It's tough. I get brain-dead very quickly. "Tone burnout", I think it's called.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@zebco)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice guys....and I know how to read tab, but considering these bands arent popular, theres not alot of tabs out there for their songs. And most of the ones that ARE out there, are wrong.....(I found tabs to learn the intro to Kalmah - "to the Gallows", and I had to make constant changes because the tab was half wrong)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

(I found tabs to learn the intro to Kalmah - "to the Gallows", and I had to make constant changes because the tab was half wrong)
The ability to recognize that it's wrong, and (more importantly) the ability to fix it tells me you are already on your way to being able to figure it out by ear.

It'll take time and practice...Like everything.
Keep working on it, you'll get there some day.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

+1 on Kent's & Roy's comments.
Take that wrong tab, correct it, and repost it. Then take pride in figuring it out and helping the next person on the learning curve. Frustration is a killer if you don't channel it to be constructive. Turn it into the resolve to do better, to help others, to learn something new.

ReplyQuote
(@preacher)
Estimable Member

1+ on Kent's, Roy's, and Daven's comments.

Zeb, this is Voodoo. What I do when I'm getting frustrated with a song is play something I know or write something new. Just going back to something you know or getting the creative juices flowing by writing something new is a great frustration buster... For me at least.

I play the guitar, I taught myself how to play the guitar, which was a bad decision... because I didn't know how to play it, so I was a sh***y teacher. I would never have went to me. -Mitch Hedberg

ReplyQuote
(@djanvk)
Trusted Member

hey check out

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

they have quite a few tabs from those bands you listed, just do a search on there.

ReplyQuote