Clear all

So, I was at GC....

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

...just buying a new guitar stand and I had a few minutes to kill, so I made the mistake of looking around. They had an Epiphone SG for $400. I plugged it into the same amp that I have and I hit it good. The perfect AC/DC sound, great action, the whole works.

So, aside from dinner, I now have GAS. So much for my streak of months being GAS-free. :cry:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I think Bish has an Epi SG for sale. Drop him a line........

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Yep, Bish had 2 SG's for sale on the Swap Meet forum. Good prices too.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

This is exactly what I hate/love about GC! GASSSSSS ATTACKSSSS!

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'll have to go look at the swap meet.

The worst part of the whole thing is the wife saying, "I ain't got no leash on you." Now I am running out of excuses.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

The worst part of the whole thing is the wife saying, "I ain't got no leash on you." Now I am running out of excuses.

You've found yourself a good woman there :) ...You're left with nobody to blame but yourself , hehehe

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

"I ain't got no leash on you"
"Nobody to blame but yourself"

This thread is practically a blues song writing itself.

I'm just going to read guitar forums for lyrics from now on :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, I got it. (Sorry Bish) Actually got a good price on it. My favorite music store that's going out of business had one left and I got it for $300. It was cheap and in my hands, so I had to get it.

It's the red one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291

Brought it home, tuned it 1/2 step down and it sounds, um, angry. It's got quite a bark to it. A little more so than my LP. I'm very pleased.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member

Nice guitar man! My friend has the exact same one. Sounds sweet. Congrats! Now stop reading and start enjoying! heh heh :D

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

NP bud, good purchase.

SG's are cool aren't they? :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

There's something about them that makes me want to play louder & harder. Perhaps it's mostly in my head. I mean, the LP can make most of the sound that the SG can, so why does that small difference translate so well into playing that way?

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member

Two words man, Angus Young....lol :D

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

There's something about them that makes me want to play louder & harder. Perhaps it's mostly in my head. I mean, the LP can make most of the sound that the SG can, so why does that small difference translate so well into playing that way?

I think it's all in the feel. It's a thin body so you can grab it tight and the neck just sports the feel of "wail away, Maestro."

And they sound authorative. Punch on demand and it gets right to business. I was amazed at the mental transformation that occurs when you pick one up. Hmmmm, I'm going to get my Ivory one right now and have a blast.

Wish I lived closer. I'd come over. I have no infants. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I've spent my morning exploring the hard rock and grunge folders and trying out some hard stuff. Lots of fun.

What strings do you use on yours?

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I seriosuly thought about setting a Epi SG (or G400 or whatever it is called) but I'm not in a posistion to buy one now. Therefore, when I step into a guitar store, I just don't touch them, that way I can't remind myself how wicked they are.

Nice purchase though man, you got a great guitar there.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2