Skip to content
So if start using d...

Notifications
Clear all

So if start using different guage strings...

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Currently I use Ernie ball super slinkys (9-49 I think), but I want to try out 10-52 (I think the size is) next time I change my strings. I've heard you have to adjust the trussrod, is this true? Or is it fine to keep the trussroad the same with this string change?

Thanks.

(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

I've wondered this myself.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Currently I use Ernie ball super slinkys (9-49 I think), but I want to try out 10-52 (I think the size is) next time I change my strings. I've heard you have to adjust the trussrod, is this true? Or is it fine to keep the trussroad the same with this string change?

Thanks.

Not usually, you might have to adjust the intonation a bit, but that small a change in string size shouldn't have a major effect on the neck.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

that small a change in string size shouldn't have a major effect on the neck.

That's what I would think as well.

One big problem you would run into if you went from say, 9's to 12's or something would be the slots in the nut not being big enough for the string to fit into, especially with the bass strings.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Going from 9's to 10's shouldn't be a big deal. What Moonrider said.

Experementing with string gagues, I've done what your describing a lot, going back and forth between 9's, 10's, heavy bottom 10's. Once you settle on a set you like and figure you'll stick with you might want to tweak truss rod and intonation a little, but the difference is subtle enough that you can live and play with it while you decide what feels right.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yeah, what everybody said. I find what effects the truss rod more is when you detune. That can make a bigger difference in string tension calling for a truss rod tweak.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Depending on the quality of the guitar, you might have to have your nut filed going up guages though . . .

The higher the quality of the guitar, the tighter the tolerances on the nut, and the more likely you'll need to take a guage file to the slots.

It also will effect intonation.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote