Clear all

So I'm tired of being bad at this...

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Here's something I recorded. It's just me playing with a backing track I found on youtube. I know my singing is sub-par but I really want to focus on lead guitar. Here's a current state: https://soundcloud.com/crazydrunkguy/scary-just-screwing-around (almost a 5 minute solo) lol

So here's what I'm doing now that I think makes sense (at least to me) and instead of wishing I had done this in the past, doing it now.

1) Learning the fretboard. Starting from the E and A strings, I know each note from open to 12th (then it just repeats to the end). I made some fretboard illustrations and printed one for my office, my bedroom, my guitar playing area (man cave) and I have a copy on my phone. I look at it when I have a chance.

EDIT: Really it's not all that hard, all you really need to know is (E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E) That seems to work for me. I know that the E string on 6th fret is going to be A#... I had trouble with learning it "by the fret".

2) When I'm waiting for a download or something at the computer, I pick up the guitar and practice individual notes on the fretboard. Also practice the basic pentatonic shapes (knowing their min and Maj roots). Getting OCD with this stuff because, I do this when I watch TV, talk on the phone with a friend, and another place I'd rather not share lol I want to be really comfortable with the fretboard so I can start getting out of the "box"...

3) Practice! I made room in my life for 1 hour minimum a day! I start by warming up my fingers so I don't kill my wrist in the process. I run through the pentatonic shapes in, to start with, Em, Bm, A, D. I try to learn some the best solos (in my opinion) like Comfortably Numb, I have the first "easy" one done pretty good and working on the last one. Or if I need a break, I download some backing tracks and practice (while recording). I find it easier than before with just a week of doing this nasty practice habit. Last week, I put in almost 2 hours a day. Hopefully I can continue. I do this when the baby goes to sleep at around 8 to 9 or 10...

4) Once I'm more comfortable with the guitar, I'm going to tackle the bad singing lol

What do you guys think?

Download a bunch of cheat sheets and posters: http://stevesmusiclist.com/

(@almann1979)
Noble Member

You should change the title of the thread, I think that sounded good!!!!!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

+1 - Good playing

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wow. thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it - a lot. I'm still chugging away, practicing and learning. Hopefully I'll have some good chops. Right now I'm pretty comfortable with the Pink Floyd Solo I've been practicing.

I find the backing tracks help a lot. I'm now trying ones out of Em and A... LOL Biggest issue I have are the ones in C for some reason, I can't seem to make it sound right. I know where I should be playing but it doesn't sound right, oh well. I'll find some tutorials.

Cheers

Download a bunch of cheat sheets and posters: http://stevesmusiclist.com/

ReplyQuote