Clear all

So my Strat Deluxe fell off the wall...

37 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes, yes, yes... (or should I say, "no, no no!")...

I was working on another guitar and took my orange USA Strat Deluxe off the wall hanger to measure something or other and look at how something fit together and put it back on the wall. I turned around and heard "CRASH!!!! :shock: "

I turned back and saw the strat lying on it's face on top of my pedalboard. It fell straight down, hit the amp, and then pitched over on top of my pedalboard.

The neck suffered three minor dings, the most noticable on the tip of the headstock and a mark on the fretboard where a string was pushed into the wood.

The body... oh, the body... it was beat up pretty bad. a couple of good-sized dents and scratches. I was using Duncan mini-humbuckers and the force of the fall actually pushed the pickup OUT OF THE housing! I had to take the whole thing apart to re-attached the humbuckers and I have to re-wire a few connections...

While this is a classic way to get a "vintage, road worn, and relic" look I am sick. The thing was MINT!!!! I can't even look at it... I know, that is so lame. It is a tool, and instrument, not something to gaze upon, but I've lost interest in playing it now. Wow...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

What caused it to fall? Was the hanger not properly secured, or did you not hang it back up correctly?

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, the strat headstock doesn't like my wall hangers... it wants to slip (turn) for some reason. there isn't enough meat on the left side of the headstock. I guess I placed it on the hanger and didn't make sure it was "in there" before I left it ...

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

same thing happened to mine.
i was lucky tho, just a couple of small dings in the body.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

get stands, or put pegs to support the body also.
stands aren't the greatest, but when you knock a guitar off a stand, it doesn't have as far to fall.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

oh it breaks my heart to see those stars
smashing perfectly good guitars......oops . sorry. :)
I would bet a lot of us know what your are feeling. still, that can be no consolation.
poor stray. that must have hurt. the irony is you feel the pain.
can we send flowers? :(

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sorry about your Strat accident Steve. :(

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

sorry to hear about this. I'm a strong proponent for wall hanging, but find some of the better selling hangers are not secure for Fenders -- esp Teles. one exception is "Off the Wall" hangers, OtW hangers reliably snag Teles "real good." they are also "real pricey" at $20+ US, rarely on sale and getting harder to find.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm gonna check those "off the wall" hangers out... it was my own fault... I like the guitars accessable and would prefer not to start keeping them in their cases...

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I certainly feel your pain. My Strat also wants to "twist" on the hanger.

I recently had an Ibanez where the screws came out of the wall (thin wall up against concrete) and when I came into my music room, there it was laying right behind my sound board....missed it by that much. I don't care much for the guitar as I never play it (I keep it because it was my first electric), but the sound board is expensive.

I was playing outside a couple of years ago and it started to rain. I grabbed my Les Paul by the stand (the design locks the guitar in place near the head) and the guitar wasn't secure and fell to the ground. My hands were full, so I couldn't catch it so I tried to slide under it and break it's fall with my legs... ended up with a nick on the neck and on the tip of the head. I literally felt nausaus.

Another thing to be careful with is making sure you are in the habit of clasping all of the locks on your case every time. I used to just lock one sometimes if I wasn't going to move it. A friend of mine was carrying his old Gibson (I think) acoustic down a flight of stair with only one clasp secured... it opened up and he had to watch as his prized instrument tumbled to the bottom. I am now in the habit of securing all of the clasps every time even if the case is empty.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wow... a Gibby acoustic would make me feel even more ill...

Anyone else have tales of sadness over a guitar that has fallen?

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Has anyone used these before?

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hercules-Stands-GSP39WB-Wallmount-Guitar-Hanger-Short?sku=453088

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I also saw that these are highly rated, and some people who have strats mentioned that the rubber knobs helped.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/String-Swing-Metal-Guitar-Wall-Hanger?sku=450240

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@daveadams)

Another thing to be careful with is making sure you are in the habit of clasping all of the locks on your case every time.

A tip I learned in high school band--when we were often carrying around rented multi-thousand dollar instruments in beat-up old cases with flaky latches--that has stuck with me: always carry the case with the non-handled side facing you, so that if/when the latches fail, it will bump up against your leg, and not roll out into the street under that passing bus.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I also saw that these are highly rated, and some people who have strats mentioned that the rubber knobs helped.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/String-Swing-Metal-Guitar-Wall-Hanger?sku=450240

make sure you bend the arms in tight against the neck, mine still slipped out of one of these.
i'll never put my fenders in one again tho.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3