So who got you into playing guitar

81 Posts
73 Users
0 Likes
16.9 K Views
(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

We all have that favorite guitarist or that friend or sum stranger that just made us wanna start strumming a six string. For me it was angus young, How about u guys ?

be good at what you can do-

(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

Billy Corgan, of the smashing pumpkins. :)

Edit: And I'm fighting the urge to buy a bass (Flea from rhcp)

ReplyQuote
(@squirrelweirdo12)

For me, it wasn't really just one person, but my whole life, i had just been jealous of people who could make music. And then in the 5th grade i took up viola, but i found that restricting, and i ended up tabbing out beatles songs and playing it like a ukelele.

So then 4 years later, i get talking to my friend Loren, who is an incredible guitarist. And he lets me look at his catalogs, and now I find that the guitar is an incredibly expressive instrument.

So I guess you could say it was my friend Loren, but I had it in me for all of my middle school experience.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I'd prolly say Jimmy Page and Angus Young.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@distortion5)
Trusted Member

I was playing on an off for about three years and I was losing interest and giving up. Then I saw the Led Zeppelin DVD and it gave me a whole new inspiration. Since then Im playing usually every day and have improved greatly. Jimmy Page is a great inspiration and motivation.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I made myself want to play. I had really no outside inspiration. I had no idea who jimi hendrix was when i was 11. I just felt drawn towards the guitar. I couldnt resist.

Oh yeah, by the way, im back from ohio.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I'd been playing piano for years, and when we cleaned out the basement and found the 4 year-old Mexican Strat that my father a brother bought and then left alone after a couple months, I picked it and its amp up and put them into my room, and started teaching myself how to play.

Phil Keagy is the greatest guitar player alive today. He is probably my main source of inspiration, both musically and in day to day life.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@longdave)
Trusted Member

Steve Hackett and Alex Lifeson (Rush) are my chief inspiration, and my older brother, who has picked up the classical guitar incredibly quickly.

And anyone who picks up a guitar in front of me and plays anything.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Not so much a who as a what. I was lying in bed one Saturday morning with the radio on, and the DJ played Classical Gas by Mason Williams.

Sold

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@bleaseyhighflyer)
Trusted Member

I had a guitar but didnt know what to do with it..........

........ but then i heard a Led Zeppelin record

" Ah man, that went down like a lead balloon."

ReplyQuote
(@davem)
Estimable Member

My friends and I would always use tennis rackets as guitars, an upright vacuum cleaner as a microphone, and a garbage can as a drum. We would switch instruments and listen to Queen "we will rock you/we are the champions" . From there, I wanted to be a rock star and play guitar. So I guess you can say Brian May.

Dave

Sometimes in life you get shown the light,
In the strangest of places if you look at it right.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Great story Dave.

The Beatles are what made me want to play music and be in a band.

I was not into guitar. I wanted to play drums. But once I started to play guitar Cream was the sound. I still think the rhythm guitar on White Room is the greatest tone I have ever heard. But also songs like Tales of Great Ulysses and Strange Brew. I really wanted to get those sounds.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

Well Randy Rhoads is the player that really got me into guitar. Although I doubt I will ever reach his level, I get closer each day.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@chrisb256)

Johnny Rivers... I only like one song of his but that song made me want to start.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Well, me and my friends wanted to become this Green Day cover band when I was in Grade 5 or 6, so I think that's really what I wanted to play at first. Then I discovered the likes of Zeppelin, Rush, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ozzy, Hendrix, etc so I began playing more and more and more until I could play alot better. I still give credit to Billy Joe Armstrong (lead singer/ guitarist of Green Day) because I think he's a really good rhythm guitar player.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6