Clear all

So who got you into playing guitar

81 Posts
73 Users
0 Likes
16.9 K Views
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

i went to a Metallica concert, and things were never the same.

ReplyQuote
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member

For me it was more of tad of a lotta people. My papa would always give my lil brother these cheap guitars that he would find at the flea market for like 10 dollars and I would always look at them and go..you know I wanna learn guitar. They were stringless and id just stare until I was in Art class one day and a friend of mine Sam picked up the guitar we were having to draw as a part of a composition and was like hey I picked up my dads guitar and I learned this and he played the intro the Sweet dreams. After that I was deadset but never had a chance to go buy strings until one day I had about 10 dollars in my pocket and I was at walmart and saw they had strings. I bout a pack and some picks and started learning. And the rest is history. I never really was inspired by the "greats of guitars" just the people that played around me. And still today my biggest inspirations are my friends. Of course...I still like to think Ima be the next jimi hendrix =P

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Al Di Meola honestly. My older brother was right into this fusion stuff. Oh yeah I guess my bro's were a big influence too.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I really had no desire to play guitar although I thought it might be nice to be able to play one. A friend of mine asked me to sing with him and a couple of other guys. I told him I couldn't carry a tune in a wash tub. He asked me if I could hear a tune in my head and I said sure. He said, then you can carry a tune. So I gave it a try and found out I could sing and I loved it. He then asked me about the idea of learning to play guitar (his guitar was the only instrument in the group). He said it would give our group a better sound if I could learn to play rythm and he'd play the lead. So I agreed to give it a try, bought myself a guitar and have loved it ever since.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

I was a drummer, primarily. My first rock band was with another lad I knew who played the guitar (who insisted I be the stickman for him even though I'd only had one lesson) but all he wanted to do was play Greenday covers at the time (he's now a fully-fledged emoboy who plays in a moderately successful hardcore outfit). So that band split (ironically, the fighting that came with the band stopped and we joke about it now), because he was starting to get into the more metal side of things and I stayed in rock/semi-metal territory. His favourite bands are Funeral For A Friend, Killswitch Engage and the likes while I'm more into Fugazi, Biffy Clyro, Reuben and the likes.

So he went off to be the bassist for this emo band and I thought I may as well get started on a new band too. So I brought in two mates who played instruments (one played drums, the other keyboard). We needed a guitarist so I thought "can't be that hard", and I took it up. The keyboard player has since ditched keyboard to play guitar and bass, I've taken up occasional bass duty and so has the drummer, so I still drum from time to time.

ReplyQuote
(@guy_d)

I wanna be bob dylan, and Bob Dylan played the guitar so hear i am. Next i suppose i'll have to learn piano, bass, harmonica etc. to keep up.

People talk of situations,
Read books, repeat quotations,
Draw conclusions on the wall.

Bob Dylan, Love Minus Zero/No Limit,

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I was going to say Paul McCartney, but then I realized it was the Beatles. But I only got into the Beatles because of one song -- Here Comes The Sun -- so...I guess it's finally George Harrison.

But then again, I used to get chills hearing the solo for "Gloria" by Them.

Hard to think back that far, but it was bass.

McCartney, final answer. :)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I still don't know, but I'm here and lovin' every minute of it. I have two friends and a brother that play (and I mean can REALLY play) but, I can't say they influenced me in any way. Your guess is as good as mine!

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

Satch for me..

with The Extremist, Motorcycle Driver and Surfing with the alien...

then i went through a dip and nearly quit..

till i heard Deep Purple, then i turned into a Blackmore Freak and he is my favourite and always will be, no one will ever take his place.. Yngwie Angelo and Becker as much as i love them and listen to them so so much more than Blackmore, he was the one who turned my life around..

he is the biggest impact on my life from someone i dont know, i wouldnt be here know, i wouldnt be playing the guitar, i dont know where i would be if i hadnt of heard him..

and im so glad i am here, talking on here and practicing the guitar, and i owe that to him, and thats why no one can ever have that impact on me and that is why he has been and always will be my favourite guitarist..

even now in Blackmores Night, he is fantastic.. i went to see them in November and when he walked on stage, was the first time i saw him in real life, i nearly cryed of happiness.

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member

At first I was in the 4th grade and christmass time was rolling around so for some reason I don't remember I asked them for a guitar. I got it and was so happy! I strummed around for a week or two and put it away lol. I think I was going to get lessons, lol and I quite Boy scouts to do them to but I never got around to ever having any lessons. 2 years later in the 6th grade i wanted to join the 7th grade Jazz band so I started practicing. thats when I bought my fastrack and yeah, everything was real fast I finished the book in a few weeks and knew my first position and a couple of chords.
7th grade rolled around and I found out that I really didn't want to join the jazz band and never did. I kept playing though. 8th grade came and I joined the after school beginner jazz band and that helped me work on my soloing from scales and everything and I had a great time cuz me and my brother (Drummer) had a great time. I was into the punk/ ska stuff like Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish. but that changed in 9th grade. Christmass time my dad got me and my bro a led zeppelin CD even though ive heard them before and always thought that it was some "Fad" thing at school cuz Everyone! was wearing led zep shirts. well I heard it and I was blown away by Jimmy pages Solos and rhythms also by John Bonham's drumming and the singeing ans everything. So now I am into Classic rock and man I don't thing Ill be leaving it lol cuz it's great. My dad eventually got us to take The Beatles seriously and give them a listen and now Im a huge Beatles Fan. And that where I stand, I finially found the music I love and love to play. I take pride in knowing that if I was to wear a led zep or beatles shirt that I also CAN play their music not just listen to it. And thats what got me into guitar! Then this year around march lol during keyboarding class sneaking in a little internet I found this site and I havnt been able to leave it yet!

Bstguitarist
:lol:

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Two people actually did it for me.

Eric Clapton. Layla just mesmorized me. That beiging intro riff. Turned out to be the first thing I learned on guitar.

and Slash. His soloing in Sweet Child O'Mine got me hooked. (i learned the begining to the solo, but never played it well...That was 2 years ago, and I havnt really tried to perfect it yet..haha)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

James Hetfield - Metallica

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

the guitarist for cinderella..i was 15 on the bus listening to my night songs tape and heard an awesome solo..grabbed the old guita my dad gave up on and here i am..but for me now its hendrix vaughan page and othere 60's and 70's rock

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I was 15 and I had heard some led zeppelin before. my brother use to play communication breakdown and the imigrant song in his car on the way to school. I thought they were aweful, I mean horrible, they were just loud noise and they didn't know how to play their instruments! I know, how deluded could one person be, they are all amazing musicians. Don't worry, i didn't stay crazy... then I started getting into this classic rock thing, it was Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd that was the turning point, once again heard in my bro's car. So my mom (yes, mom, my mom loves rock) and bro were playing me some music because I was becoming more and more intrigued with classic rock. I heard Tangerine and liked it, and then I heard Going to California and loved it, and then, it happened, Over the Hills and Far Away. I heard that song, well the intro, and said, "I want to be able to do that!" My dad played guitar so I started playing the next day. Shortly later it was my 16th birthday and I got my acoustic. Unfortunately, I played for a few months and then pretty much never played again until less than a year ago... sigh.. if only I had stuck to practicing. I also have been a huge Led Zeppelin freak since then, they are by far my fave and Page is now my God.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

I think it was partly my mum/mom, she accompanied me on guitar while I played the mandolin as a child and partly the people in my peer groups who played guitar as I was growing up, especially one friend, she played and sung Bob Dylan songs and I used to think how cool, and seeing Ry Cooder live - he played both the mandolin and the guitar on that night, and I was amazed at seeing someone of his calibre live.
Now I'm really in awe of Al di Meola, still Ry Cooder, and I'm listening to John Butler on his latest CD Sunrise over Sea, it's amazing the sounds he can get from his electrified acoustics with peddles etc.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6