Clear all

soloing

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all, i've been messing around with some solos lately and was wondering whether or not i should be palm muting the whole time. See, the problem is that sometimes ill hit a string by accident on a bend and it will ring. Obviously this doesn't make for a good solo.
thanks

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Palm muting is only going to cover up your mistakes. Try fixing your mistakes before you try covering them up.

If you feel a mute is in order.... by all means do it, they are nice to throw in the mix but, don't use it to cover bad practice habits. Trust me, I've done it and it doesn't help.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Palm muting is only going to cover up your mistakes. Maybe thats why so many metal players palm mute... :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@mrjazzclassicalmetalshred)
Trusted Member

Hey, I play metal and I almost never palm mute my leads. I find it cumbersome and annoying, and it also produces a tone I dislike. I make some mistakes, but I practice a ton.

Album progress:15%

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

I think it should just be another technique in your arsenal...I wouldn't rely on it all the time.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Palm muting in rythem of course simpley adds a chunkier, metal sound but in a solo I definately would advise against it, like the others said: correct your mistakes, dont mask them.

ReplyQuote
(@edible)

i like to palm mute in a solo sometimes, it gives it a funky sound

my name is mud

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

If you are a metal player and truly NEVER palm mute then something is seriously wrong. It's an integral part of the metal sound if done correctly. It needs to be mastered, just like anything else, and then after you know how to do it you can decide whether you like it or not.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
Trusted Member

No, I mean I almost never palm mute on leads. Rhythm I am almost always doing that.

ReplyQuote
 BMG
(@bmg)
Eminent Member

Palm muting is only going to cover up your mistakes.
Actually Palm muting gives a percussive sound to the notes.
A kind of clipped sound...instead of the usual and more common
open note...or what I call the "round sound"
It's another tool if used correctly...just like finger-picking...tapping
etc.

Palm muting is also used partially to get pinch harmonics.

It's not for "covering mistakes".

Where did you hear, learn, or think that up btw?

BMG...learning player and composer of "Skulk Music"
Skulk means:
To lurk, creep, or glide about unseen. Usually with hostile intentions.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I, by no means have anything against palm muting. My point was, from how the original post was written, was that he or she was covering up his or her "accidental strings ringing out" with a palm mute which in my book is covering up your mistakes. End of story!!!

You misunderstood me. I know how palm muting is used in music and fully understand it. Go back and read the original post.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Palm muting continuously sounds a little screwy, but its common practice (to my knowledge) to use your hand to mute unplayed strings to keep them from ringing while you are playing others.

Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

What you should learn how to do when soloing is not so much PALM mute the notes youre hitting as much as you should mute the other strings youre not hitting. this is especially true when you have lots of distortion and gain. the other strings begin to cause a nasty buzz and feedback unless you mute them with your picking hand.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

most of my bends are with the ring or pinkie fingers. i keep my index finger on the string to help with the bend, as well. when i bend the string up, the index finger tip will press against the string lower, muffling it in case i bend into it.

ReplyQuote
Trusted Member

^^That's what I do. Palm mutin can give a different sound, but it can be ussed to cover up mistakes. I don't really like the sound on leads, so I don't palm mute on leads. The end.

ReplyQuote