Notifications
Clear all

Some Hendrix Teacher?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@pesya)
Topic starter  

I'm at despret need for a guitarist that teaches Intermediate and advanced studies knows his way around Hendrix and knows theory! I'm exhausted of going around the subject. Please.

I'm looking for private lessons in San Francisco... anyone, really. Los Angeles area helps too.

Thanks, P

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Pesya

As for the theory, any good teacher can teach you that. The theory behind Hendrix would be no different than general music theory.

I really don't think you are going to find a teacher who specilizes in Hendrix. That is something you are going to have to do on your own. But there are several things you can do.

1) Collect all of Hendrix music and listen to it often.

2) Study to find who Hendrix's major influences are. Collect their music as well. Jimi was basically a Blues player. So you are going to need to study the Blues.

3) There are tab books of most of Hendrix's music. Get those and learn the songs. There are even some web sites with Hendrix tabs. Here's one.

Hendrix Tabs

I would say this to you. It is not good to focus on one guitarist. You can study Hendrix, and in time you will sound very much like him. But that is the problem. We already have one Jimi Hendrix. We don't need another. Really, the idea is to find your own sound and style. If you get Hendrix down people will just call you a copycat.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@pesya)
Topic starter  

Hey hey hey I never said anything like that. In fact, I play a lot of Chili Peppers to go along with that. I'm not exclusive in my taste. And another thing, I'm actually 90% through Red House myself. I've been teaching myself and much to the surprise of my family I actually got somewhere. I only want a teacher I can relate to with Hendrix and ask him how to play this or that. Tabbing you've got to start on yourself. Thanks anyway

ReplyQuote