Notifications
Clear all

Someone with a good eye..

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ello_chap)
Topic starter  

Hey all you out there. Here is a link to a youtube video that has a guy playing his own version of a song called "Wonderwall". The thing is i really want to learn this version its just that I cant make out any of what he's playing. I tried pausing the video and plcaing my fingers off of sight, but to no avail. If anyone can help to tab it out that would be amazing. I know its really repetative so just the chord shapes would suffice.

Thanx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1DyirI5plw&feature=related

p.s. sorry if posting urls is against the forum rules, this is my first post here so im not real familiar with the website. :/

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

looks like mainly G's (300003) down the neck and maybe some Em's down the neck, but I'm not too sure. People play chords differently.

It's a great cover though.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I didn't take a look at the video but I find these chord pattern simple to play Wonderwall -

Em G D A.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

First off, a good eye will never substitute for a good ear. The main thing you hear right off the bat is that this is definitely in an alternate tuning. The high E string is at Eb and even retuning to "Eb Standard" (low to high Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb) doesn't get you the exact thing he's doing.

I don't have the time right now to suss the entire thing out, but if you use this as a starting point, it should get you going (best I could do with two minutes free time, sorry):
Eb - - - - 0 - - - - - -0 - - - - 0 - - - - -0 -
Bb - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gb - - - 0 - - - - - -0 - - - - 0 - - - - -0 - -
Db - - 5 - - - - - 9 - - - - 0 - - - - -0 - - -
Ab - 7 - - - - - 10 - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
Eb - - - - - - - - - - - - -8 - - - - 10 - - - -

Also you can do this in standard tuning, it's just going to sound a half step higher than this guy's recording. Again, I know this isn't exact note for note, but with a little experimentation on your end (not to mention some careful listening) you should get closer in no time.

Cool arrangement. I'll definitely try to work out more of it when there's some free time available.

By the bye, welcome to Guitar Noise. Hope we see you around some more.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I don't have the time right now to suss the entire thing out

Total digression:

I've seen "suss" before but I don't know what it means.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

figure out or deduce, from suspect

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Sorry - "suss out" (and there should be an "out" somewhere) is slang, British I believe, for figuring something out or working something out. No, I'm not British but I've picked up a lot of it from various friends, acquaintances and reading. Thanks to Nick for the root. Never sussed that out!

And now, back to our regular programming... :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

figure out or deduce, from suspect

I thought that was it, but I couldn't believe I'd be right. Thanks. :)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Sorry - "suss out" (and there should be an "out" somewhere) is slang, British I believe, for figuring something out or working something out. No, I'm not British but I've picked up a lot of it from various friends, acquaintances and reading. Thanks to Nick for the root. Never sussed that out!

And now, back to our regular programming... :wink:

Peace

Thanks David. Now I have another buzzword. :)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You don't need out. Long ago, perhaps. But now, if someone says something obvious you can reply "I sussed that."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You don't need out. Long ago, perhaps. But now, if someone says something obvious you can reply "I sussed that."

Could be confusing on a guitar site...."Hey, I've got it sussed!" (That's an alternative, more common these days.) What - you've added a fourth and dropped the third?....

When I first started playing Wonderwall, I tabbed it out in "Easy Songs" using G, Em, C D and A7 chords. Never sounded quite right though, till a friend showed me how HE played it....

First off, stick your pinky on the third fret of the top E string, then your third finger on the third fret of the B string. These fingers NEVER MOVE throughout the song. The chords used are;

G - 320033
Cadd9 - x32033
Dsus4 - xx0233 OR 200233, with your thumb on the lower E string.
Em7 - 022033
A7sus4 - x02233.

So it's merely a question of moving your first and second fingers - and your thumb if you're playing the "extended" Dsus4 chord.

Stick a capo on the second fret and play these chords, it'll sound pretty close to the Oasis original.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You can also be very close to 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' with these progressions.

ReplyQuote
(@ello_chap)
Topic starter  

hello again. This forum is great. Fast and useful feedback. Thanx to Dhodge for jogging my mind to the fact that it is tuned a half-step down. :D . After that everything became easier. I figured it out pretty quickly, and came to realize it is one of the most simple prgressions i ever come across. If anyone happens to take a liking to the song and wants to know the fingering just send me a message and ill b glad to send it to you.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Maybe not the world's hardest progression, but an awfully useful one, especially for us newbs.

The chords Vic listed can also be used for "Time of your life" by Greenday.

And probably a bunch of other stuff.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote