Clear all

Something just clicked.....

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well I was practicing doing triplet hammer-on patterns up and down the neck last night and something just clicked. It was like I hit a new milestone in my technique. I mean, I have been able to do legato lines and whatnot no problem before, and even thought that I was fairly good at them. But now it seemed like everything was perfect. My finger tips seemed to have lazer-like accuracy. I kinda of shrugged off this as me slipping into the zone (I had been playing for about 3 hours). But today (while I was on my lunch break) I went over to Guitar Center to look at guitars. I ended up playing an Ibanez RGsomethingorother. I realized halfway through some pretty intense legato lines that I realized that I wasn't just "in the zone" last night-my playing had actually reached a new level. The best part was after I was done playing (I had to go back to work...yeah I know I was sad too...) that I had a guy say, "Nice playing, you sound like a mini Randy Rhoads!" Since Randy is one of my biggest influences, that statement really hit the spot. I mean, although I am NOWHERE near Randy Rhoads, it is nice to think that someone recognized his influence.

Just thought I would share! :D

Gun control is using both hands!!!

(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

cool, I'm not sure what legato lines are, but I only started in July. But anyways it sounds cool, it feels good when you reach a new milestone.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

lol, you really do NOT go from "ok" to "lazer like accuracy".

ReplyQuote
(@artistx13)
Estimable Member

Something like that happened to me when I first started playing. I was working really hard on chord changes and the only one I had really gotten down was Em to E (WOOOOO) It finally go to the point where I was just blast it all so I started learning I walk the line by johnny cash and after learning that I went back and tried some chords and Chord changes perfect

Micheal :)

"I named my son Marshall, yeah I named him after the amp. Of course that wasnt my first choice, I was gonna name him Peavy but my wife didnt like it."- Ron "Tater Salad" White

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

very cool, breakthroughs like that can keep you playing through some of the worst conditions or progress on the planet

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

lol, you really do NOT go from "ok" to "lazer like accuracy".

I disagree.

I don't think that you can go from not being able to do it at all to "lazer like accuracy". But from decent to very proficient is possible.

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

so I started learning I walk the line by johnny cash

I was just messing around with a walking bass line between E and A today and suddenly realized I was playing that song.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

I've been playing since 1988. I've found that progressive often comes in leaps. You would think that by practicing everyday you get a little bit better everyday. Not always true. Sometimes you plateau for quite awhile and then bang your much better. Another trick is to not touch the guitar for a week or two and sometimes you will find you are much better than when you left it. I just read an article in Guitar Magazine about people doing this. I believe that your brain can process info about playing even when you are not playing, and you can come back with fresh ideas and improved techique. Next time you go on vacation give it a try.

ReplyQuote