something wrong

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Reactions
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hello everyone
so like every day i was just playing and i noticed that the sound was off on my amp. so i moved the wire a little bit thought maybe a bad connection, then it happend again so i checked the cable in the guitar, it sould be ok its a monster cable, then i was switched to rythem, and i was like ok there we go its working, then i switched to treble and half the volume and gain was gone, i get the full volume sometimes when i switch to rythem, but when i go to treble half of everything is gone. its becoming a problem. what is it? the switch. any ideas?

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

What kind of amp is it? By your screenname, I'm guessing you might have a blown tube or something, I don't know..... I don't have a tube amp anyway....

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Actually, the same thing happened to me about a year ago, except my problem was with the rhythm, not the treble. I believe it was a problem with the input jack, however I'm not entirely certain, I can't really remember. Im almost 96% sure it was the input jack though.... lol.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i have an older crate about 7-8 years old. but im sure its not that becasue it works on the epiphony les paul, but not the wolfgang

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oops.. I misread the question... I thought you switched to the rythym channel on your amp... :oops: Yeah it's probably the input jack, or a wiring problem...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i dont think its the jack, why would its only work on treble then? i hope its not the pickup

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Coul just be a loose wire or something. Take it to wear you bought it and ask.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It sounds like it could be the pup or the switch.

I would take it to a tech to find out.

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

I had this problem with a Create Vintage Club 50 tube. Turned out it was a blown tube and a cold solder connection. Tech fixed it up pretty good.

I've seen this problem with solid-state amps, too, and it's typically a dirty volume POT. Grab a can of Deflux or Contact Cleaner from your local hardware or electronics store, unplug the amp, and blast that stuff right in around the dial so that it gets down into the electronics. Twist the knob around a few times. The stuff's safe for electronics (I'm an industrial electronics/electrical engineer) and evaporates in about 30 to 45 seconds.

Also, for reference, this stuff works great for the "static" sound you get on your knobs and switches in the guitar.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Unless one gets broken, it's uncommon for a tube to "blow" and suddenly cause an amp not to work. Generally they slowly "wear out," causing symptoms like increased noise, distortion coming on too early, unpleasant distortion, excessive compression and lowered volume.

A rectifier tube can short out and not only cause an amp to suddenly not work, it'll either blow the fuse, or if there's no fuse (as in many old amps), it can burn up the power transformer, and maybe start a fire. But mighty few tube amps made nowadays have tube rectifiers, usually they're solid state diodes.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hey ,
Ricochet , it was you who won the gibson 5000$ acoustic right? :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep, that was me. Nice guitar! Haven't seen it lately. It disappeared into my teenage boy's bedroom.
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote