Notifications
Clear all

Songs...

23 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've always played along with the radio, tapes and CD's - it's how I learned to play. The whole point of picking up guitar, for me, was to play songs - and most of what I've learned is from playing songs. It's all very well saying you need to learn scales and theory, but it's far easier to point something out in a song. Example - years ago, I learned the Aaug chord while I was learning Lennon's "Starting Over." A few years later, I was trying to learn Roy Orbison's "You Got It" and kept getting stuck on one particular chord change - until something clicked and I realised it was the same chord Lennon played in Starting Over. So learning one song helped me work out another. In its simplest form, three chords will take you a long way - learn a blues song in E with a I-IV-V progression, it opens up a whole new world - literally thousands of songs use the same progression.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

In any case, to each his/her own. If you don't see the value in playing music written by other people, then that's your call. But personally, I think you are short changing yourself, and denying yourself the opportunity to fuse your emotion and passion with some of the wonderful music that has been written. Sometimes there is no need to invent the wheel.

I agree with this. If I only played my own music, that would be pretty dull. Man, there are so many great songs I heard growing up I couldn't wait to learn them on guitar. I never play any song exactly like the original.

I read once that Eric Clapton did not enjoy writing originals especially. Now he can, and has written many great tunes. But he said he enjoyed other people's songs more than his own. I can relate to that.

Nothing wrong with writing your own music, you have to write your own music if you want to make it big. On the other hand there is nothing wrong at all playing music written by others. You are gonna cheat yourself out of a lot of GREAT music.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

[On the other hand there is nothing wrong at all playing music written by others. You are gonna cheat yourself out of a lot of GREAT music.

Or get sued by the copyright retards. :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

I agree with wes, a guy may be a great guitar player but that does not make them great song
writers, malmsteen and vai, great technical players, but imo not good song writers.

I have learned alot by learning other peoples songs, like vic said, there are hundreds of songs
that use a I-IV-V progression. i enjoy covering other peoples songs, my songs suck lol 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, my songs might suck as well but that don't mean it's less enjoyable. And ofcourse many great players aren't great songwriters. Heck, how many modern-day concert-pianists really write their own tunes? Do what you feel like doing. Some people hate songwriting/composing and are perfectly happy doing their thing with other people's songs. Other people, me being one of them, don't get much enjoyment out of that and enjoy working on their own tunes. As with almost everything people disagree on it's a matter of taste.
And there is where the true value lies. There are some composers out there who are afraid that by listening to or playing other people's music, they will lose their own musical identity, but they've got it wrong.

But they've got it wrong? Should I read that as "but their mind works in another way so try both methods and see for yourself." or more literally as in "I know better how other people can be creative."?
Quite honestly, it seems arrogant to think that only your music is worth playing.
Speaking for myself, I cannot play any given song (except maybe Horse With No Name :P) all the way through. As a matter of fact I cannot play any of my 75+ originals either, neither on guitar or piano. Once I finish with a piece of music it's done and I never play it again. It's like a photo from the past: good to look at and get the memories back but I won't re-enact the whole scene. It's over. Arrogant? Lazy? Maybe. Never gave it much thought and won't so now either. We all do what we do and whatever it's called suits me fine.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Speaking for myself, I cannot play any given song (except maybe Horse With No Name ) all the way through. As a matter of fact I cannot play any of my 75+ originals either, neither on guitar or piano. Once I finish with a piece of music it's done and I never play it again. It's like a photo from the past: good to look at and get the memories back but I won't re-enact the whole scene. It's over. Arrogant? Lazy? Maybe. Never gave it much thought and won't so now either. We all do what we do and

In my experience, when I have run into people who only play their own original music and refuse to play other's music, it is because they can't. I have run into a few people like this, they have a few songs they play with simple chords, when you ask them to play a popular song, they don't know a single song and don't seem to have a clue as how to.

But Argen is correct, the nice thing about guitar or any instrument is you can play whatever you want.

But playing covers does not mean a person does not really know how to play their instrument. Classical orchestras play music written by many famous composers. This is playing covers my friend. And you can bet every musician in that orchestra is a well trained musician who thoroughly knows their instrument.

I find it hard to believe than any musician could play hundreds of songs and not know how to play their instrument as Shoo Head implies.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As a matter of fact I cannot play any of my 75+ originals either, neither on guitar or piano. Once I finish with a piece of music it's done and I never play it again. It's like a photo from the past: good to look at and get the memories back but I won't re-enact the whole scene. It's over. Arrogant? Lazy? Maybe. Never gave it much thought and won't so now either. We all do what we do and whatever it's called suits me fine.

Now there you do surprise me. I've written a lot of songs - probably close to a couple of hundred. Some I play fairly often, others occasionally. Others - well, let's just say they seemed like a good idea at the time. I've recorded about 40, and there's probably about another 40 I'd really like to record. I could dig any one of those songs out and play the rhythm guitar part and sing it note-for-note. Lead, I could probably get close. Lyrics, I'd more than likely have to think about and write down. The point is, when I've written something I think is pretty good, I put a lot of effort into it - and most of that effort stays in my memory somewhere.

Arjen, are you telling me if some big-shot promoter heard your music on soundclick and asked you to do a concert tour in, say, a couple of months time - and he had some musicians ready to rehearse with you - you couldn't get some of those songs together and play an hour or an hour and a half set? I'm not having a go at you, mate - it just seems so strange to me that you wouldn't want to ever play those songs again. Hell, I've enjoyed most of them....seems really weird to me that you wouldn't want to perform them live.

I know that given about a week to rehearse - and it would be a week's SOLID rehearsing! - I could probably cobble a set list together and play at least a one-hour set. I'd probably stick strictly to rhythm guitar and singing, but I'd be able to show someone a rough lead line or bass line. I could probably do an hour just me on acoustic and vocals - but without the added instruments for extra texture (as a certain Mr Harrison might have put it!) I wouldn't have the necessary skills, or variety of skills, to hold an audience's attention that long.

Like I said - writing a song, recording it then never going back to it seems weird to me. I know your music's a lot more experimental than mine - I'm an old rock'n'roller at heart - but there must be some songs, maybe a LOT of songs, you're proud of? Ah well, if that's the way it is then so be it......at least we know we'll have a lot more songs to look forward to from you!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Playing other's songs is nice and fulfills our dream to find that tune on the guitar by ourselves.

It also helps to know such songs while making your own, since you don't want to have a chord progression exactly like any popular song.

Lot of discussion here or talking won't help much (It may confuse you). Enjoy yourself by doing your best on the guitar. Therein lies your salvation.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2