Clear all

Sort of a weird guitar + amp question

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i have been borrowing my buddies fender squier and a piece of a practice amp. i'm not good at guitar because i haven't taken any real lessons and havent had time. when i jump on i normally i just bash out power chords or play some easy 90s riff (nirvana, soundgarden, screaming trees, etc). i have to give it back within the next week and i want to go check out some amps using various low end guitars this week.

Guess the big question is, can you get a low end $100 guitar with humbucker pickups (new on ebay, used on ebay, pawn shop, doesnt matter) to sound decent through a good amp? I was reading a little bit about vox valvetronix and i've seen some good reviews about them on this site so i was thinking of trying it out specifically with some lower end models.

Music I like to ideally play would be considered "grunge" (i know categorizing is silly, but that is only way i know how to describe it) so the amp needs to sound decent/good LOUD, but be a reasonable price.

reason being for wanting low end is i dont really know how much i can dedicate to playing, and i always said if i ever played a "gig" my guitar was going to get destroyed into a million bits so no need buying anything fancy.

if possible was looking to spend somewhere between 2-300 on an amp and about 100 on a guitar. all suggestions and bashes welcome

kinda weird, i know =

plz im a noob

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Quote: somewhere between 2-300 on an amp and about 100 on a guitar.

For that price range you should be able to pick up a decent set up. If you start looking around on e-bay and other place's you'll find something that will work just fine. If you find something say on e-bay and your not sure whether its a good deal or not, all you have to do is come hear and post a link we'll be glad to go have a look and give you an opinion on whether it s and good deal or not. Here at GN we take pride in helping others along with providing a positive atmosphere of sharing your knowledge so others may benefit not only to become musicians but to become better in all areas life.

Quote: all suggestions and bashes welcome

Sorry you no baching allowed here.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks alot. Just need to find a summer job so i can save up some money. Main problem is no one will hire me; only thing i can think of why not is just bc it would be temp. im 21 and will be a senior in college this next year. Should have looked for an internship :(

plz im a noob

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

i thought the cheapest amp possible would be better for grunge? (only kidding).

id advise caution when using ebay however you should be able to find some decent used equiptment for that price, i did.
i got a second hand (slightly chipped) BC rich warlock (bronze) for £99 (ok slightly more than $100 but it seems that in america if i payed $100 for a guitar id pay £100 here) and my amp is a roland something-or-other (65 watts, 12in speaker, boss quality built in effects, cosm amp modelling etc.) at £350 1st hand.... both are fantastic.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Ibanez guitars come pretty cheap and are good for rock/metal...I don't know how close that comes to grunge but take a look.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

if you're willing to pay a little more for the guitar and a little less for the amp you could pick up a brand new yamaha pacifica 112, and a decent amp. (i know nothing about amps, so others can advise there)

the pacifica is a great guitar, bridge humbucker and two single coil pickups, prefect for grunge and the nicest neck you'll find for the money.
brand new you'll probally pay up to 200quid for it, but well worth the money and then some.

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

checkout

http://www.rondomusic.net/sstfat.html

they have 100$ guitars

and some starter packages real cheap and good quality (i bought a guitar from them and i like it much)

http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html

ReplyQuote