Special trick

40 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi

Today, while I was playing almost anything on my guitar, I tried to figure out some special trick that I could play to be different from the traditional bend, hammer-on, pull-off, tapping and slide.

I found some nice, but I wanted to know if you had some little trick that I could use while I try to improvise?

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

It's not a trick, but the release bend is a really expressive technique.
A '10 r 8' notation would mean you 'pre'bend the string 2 semitones, strike the string and then release the bend so the tone falls to it's 'natural' position. As a beginner I find them tough because you've got to be thinking so far ahead. :shock:
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

slapping and popping aren't just bass techniques. try them on guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Can you elaborate?

Slapping and popping don't mean nothing to me :oops: English is not my first language as I said many times :wink:

One thing I discover (someone must have discover it before me anyway) and that make a cool sound is;
I play an harmonic and press the string over the nut to create a vibrato on which I did the harmonic

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@benpari)
Eminent Member

its much easier to just add vibrato to a harmonic with a bar.

I found that you can play pinch harmonics with your left hand only. Like put your first finger on the 2nd fret then hit the 5th fret harmonic with your pinky. I think I saw Dime do this technique.

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

its much easier to just add vibrato to a harmonic with a bar.

I found that you can play pinch harmonics with your left hand only. Like put your first finger on the 2nd fret then hit the 5th fret harmonic with your pinky. I think I saw Dime do this technique.

Yeah, it must be easier to add vibrato with a bar and that's because I don't have a bar on my guitar that I found that solution :wink:

I wanted to play a song that used a bar but I don't have one, so like I said, I found something else to do the same sound

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

On "You could be mine", there's a trill at the start that Slash does by pulling the string off the edge of the guitar... it gives it a metallic twang, but I'm guessing it's guitar dependent. Unison bends are a favourite of mine too (where you play two notes, two halfsteps apart and bend the lower up until they're both the same note). Then there's the gain of your distortion - if you lower it until a single note by itself doesn't sound distorted (or not much), but two notes together do, you can really have fun playing with the dynamics of that, especially with the unison bends mentioned.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I enjoy using the volume knob to add interest in my playing. with the volume knob turned down I pluck a note then bring the volume up. Jeff Beck does that a lot.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I enjoy using the volume knob to add interest in my playing. with the volume knob turned down I pluck a note then bring the volume up. Jeff Beck does that a lot.

Rory Gallagher's another guitarist who used that particular trick - I've seen him play with the pinky on his right hand curled around the volume knob on his guitar, and get a tremolo effect that way. He also did the same thing with the tone knob to get a wah-wah effect.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

-Pinky on the volume control (not easy on a Squier '51, it's waayy down there)
-Shake the guitar neck to get a vibrato (not really a vibrato, but it does 'shake' the note)
-Switching pickup selectors ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=cHgGTTPsvkw the sound at about 45 seconds)

Those are my 'tricks' if you want to call them that, considering they've all been done before (John Mayer uses the shake guitar neck trick a lot).

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I like the trick where you secretly bend the string while making a big show of turning the tuner. you are not really moving the tuner at all.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Can you elaborate?

Slapping and popping don't mean nothing to me :oops: English is not my first language as I said many times :wink:
Slapping is when the bass players use their thumb as a hammer against the strings. It is used a lot in some styles, for example, funk.

Gnease or other bass player will explain the "popping" :D

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

"Popping" is when you hook your finger (picking hand) on a string and "pick" it by pulling it away from the guitar and letting go. Gives the note a "popping" attack on the initial strike. Combining slapping and popping takes a little bit of practice, getting the thumb to do the slap and a finger to do the pop.

As gnease mentions, guitarists use these techniques as well as bass players.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

iv found muting to be impressive in places, percussion as you might call it, harder to do on an electric but can be done, intentionally muting a note during a solo etc can sound good if done properly...iv not it jsut sounds like your messing it up...but yeah, everyones talking about how to make noise, id figure i talk about stopping that noise :D

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

iv found muting to be impressive in places, percussion as you might call it, harder to do on an electric but can be done, intentionally muting a note during a solo etc can sound good if done properly...iv not it jsut sounds like your messing it up...but yeah, everyones talking about how to make noise, id figure i talk about stopping that noise :D

This kind of right and left hand technque stuff is exactly what I've been trying to do lately, to varying degrees of success.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3