Clear all

"Spirit in the Sky" Fuzz Sound

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I am trying to learn this song and I am wondering what fuzz pedal to buy to best capture the sound. I went to GC a few days ago and was directed to (and I bought) the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. :oops: It's a bit more complicated than I had hoped for and was wondering if there are other options that other players might have experience with.

Jim

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Here's abit of info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_in_the_Sky

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The Electro Harmonix Big Muff should get you close to that distortion. There have been various stories about how this sound was obtained, I have read that it was obtained by running two fuzz pedals into each other. You can imagine just how distorted that would be. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses, greybeard and Wes. gb, I hadn't even thought of looking at the Wiki. Wes, I will have to take a look at the Big Muff.

Thanks again,
Jim

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Another trick that was used a lot was to use a razor blade on the cone of the speaker. It is said to be how the Kinks got the sound on "You Really Got Me"

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Link Wray and Lou Reed were reputed slicers of speakers.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Another trick that was used a lot was to use a razor blade on the cone of the speaker. It is said to be how the Kinks got the sound on "You Really Got Me"

Dave Davies tells two different versions of this story. in one, he desecrated his Elpico speaker cone with knitting needles, while in the other, razor blades. probably tried both. I've always liked the image of him playing You Really Got Me through an amp impaled by a pair of k-needles attached to a skein of yarn, or a partially finish tartan muffler.

anyone willing to do this let me know how it works out for you.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

would there be a perceptible difference in tone between askein of yarn and a tartan muffler Greg?

I heard Link "invented" distortion using the old razor bladed speaker cones effect.

If I still had that crappy old practice amp...

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

well ... yeah! and the particular tartan is important as well. not just any ole Sullivan will do!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote